We want to send you on a jet boat ride for FREE in Australia! Apply before January 15, 2016 for … Read more
International work experience is more important than ever and one of the best ways to make the leap into working abroad is by completing an internship in Australia – a longtime leader in the health, aviation and technology industries. Offering a range of internship opportunities throughout the country, TEAN works tirelessly to connect students with highly relevant placements in every trade from finance, to environmental conservation and even sports medicine. While Sydney is a popular destination, as an international business hub, other cities throughout the country also provide a variety of internships suited to meet nearly every degree or interest.
Gain real world work experience with a full-time internship (minimum 35 hours per week) in pre-established positions for 8 weeks (summer) or 14 weeks (semester)
Further your professional development via interview preparation sessions and individualized feedback/coaching along with an evaluation procedure including Supervisor Evaluations, Self Evaluations and more
Experience living in an interesting Australian city that is best suited to your internship placement such as Sydney, Perth, Brisbane or Newcastle
Enjoy guaranteed pre-arranged housing in centrally located, fully-furnished apartments which include internet and utilities
Get your bearings with a comprehensive three-day orientation upon arrival including airport reception, business etiquette and internship best practices session, cultural activities and group dinners. Additional cultural events and activities are also included throughout the duration of the internship.
Discover the wild beauty of the Great Barrier Reef during an exciting four-day excursion (available for summer session only)
Resident Directors based in each city support interns culturally, professionally and personally throughout their stay
Re-entry advising is also available to assist in the practical application of skills learned (i.e. adding your experience to your resume or leveraging your experience abroad to increase marketability at home)
TEAN offers Summer (8-week) and full semester (14-week) internship placements. Upon applying to the program, you will provide information that allows us to connect you with a potential employer in the field or profession you desire then our Internships Director works to secure placements that match your career and academic objectives.
TEAN offer a variety of positions in exciting industries including:
- Environmental Studies
- Veterinarian Studies
- Public Relations
- Business Analysis
- Human Resources
- Sports Medicine
- Sports Management
- Sports Marketing
- Event Management
- Non-profit/Community Outreach
There are no industry limitations so please apply even if your field of choice is not listed. For sample position descriptions of previous placements see:
- Animal and Veterinary Studies Position Description
- Architecture Position Description
- Business Position Description
- Community Outreach Position Description
- Engineering Position Description
- Nutrition and Health Care Position Description
- Marine Biology Position Description
- Marketing and Event Management Position Description
- Marketing and Communications Position Description
- Public Relations Position Description
- Sports Marketing Position Description
- Sports Medicine/Exercise Science Position Description
- Web Design Position Description
During the application process you can provide your location preference, however your host city/town in Australia is usually determined by the best location for your internship placement. Most placements are located in Sydney, Perth, Brisbane, Melbourne or Newcastle.
The TEAN Australia Internship Program allows for academic credit and the majority of students obtain credit directly from their home university. In this situation, the student then pays any necessary tuition fees to the home university.
Study and Internship Combined Programs
Students who would like to combine a semester studying abroad with a part-time internship in Australia should consider the study abroad programs at the University of Sydney, University of Wollongong and University of Western Australia. These semester abroad abroad programs offer internships for academic credit as part of their study abroad programs.
Great Barrier Reef Excursion
Head out on an exciting four-day excursion to Cairns, considered the gateway to exploring the incredible Great Barrier Reef and Australia’s center for adventure activities. From snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef to exploring a nearby rainforest, soaking up the sun on the beach to discovering the neighboring islands, students who choose to participate in this optional adventure (available during the summer session) are in for one wild ride!
TEAN will cover the following costs:
- 4 nights accommodation in Cairns
- Transportation to/from the Cairns airport
- 1 day snorkeling trip on the Great Barrier Reef
- Support of TEAN staff while traveling
In addition to a day on the reef, interns will have a full two days to explore Cairns and the nearby rainforest on their own. Interns will be responsible for the followings costs:
- Flights to and from Cairns
- Most meals
- Any additional activities
TEAN’s specially designed orientation program allows you to learn about the host culture and be well prepared to maximize your international internship. During the three-day orientation you will learn the local business etiquette, acquire tips on navigating your host culture and experience a number of cultural activities.
TEAN interns are guaranteed housing in secure, fully-furnished apartments in the host city. Apartments are centrally located within walking distance of public transport.
Even though you are traveling abroad to work, you need some time to enjoy the local culture. The TEAN Internship Program includes a minimum of three unique and engaging cultural activities, such as concerts or sports events, during your time in Australia.
Eligibility & Application Process
All Australia Internship Program applicants are expected to have an appropriate academic background related to the internship placement duties. The amount of required coursework will vary for each placement. Students who have completed at least two years of university work and have grade point averages above 2.5 will be eligible for most internships. Other students are encouraged to apply as many other non-academic factors are taken into consideration.
Because of the necessary lead time, we require applications to be submitted at least 2-3 months prior to the program start date. The actual lead time to source internships can vary from 1-3 months or more depending on a variety of factors for each applicant. See the Program Dates for upcoming deadlines.
Once your internship placement is finalized, TEAN will send you a confirmation letter which will provide you with the details regarding your placement (e.g. company name, address and contact details).
A pre-departure guide will be provided that includes information on many topics including:
- Information on working in Australia (such as business etiquette)
- Internship placement protocol and options
- Credit transfer procedures (if applicable)
- Visa (immigration) procedures and applications
- Housing and travel options
The process will continue with the following steps:
- Student signs offer letter – this is sent to the student/intern once a placement has been agreed upon by TEAN, the intern and their academic advisor (if necessary)
- Credit transfer finalized with academic advisor
- Intern electronically submits visa application to Australian Embassy (guidance provided by TEAN)
- Student arranges Personal Liability Insurance (instructions provided)
- Final payment due 4 weeks prior to departure
- Pre departure and housing sent to student 2 – 4 weeks before intended start date
- Travel plans finalized (including flight and other independent travel options)
Please note that the order may vary depending on a variety of factors, including internship type, date of application and location.
- Sept 30 deadline
- May intake: Feb 1 deadline
- June intake: March 1 deadline
- May 1 deadline
|Date of Departure||TEAN Orientation||Internship Starts||Internship Ends||Return to the USA||Application Deadline**|
|Fall (14-weeks)||Aug 16||Aug 18-21||Aug 22||Nov 25||Nov 26||May 1|
|Date of Departure||TEAN Orientation||Internship Starts||Internship Ends||Return to the USA||Application Deadline|
|May Intake (8-weeks)||May 16||May 18-20||May 23||July 15||July 21||March 1|
|June Intake (8-weeks)||June 15||June 17-19||June 21||Aug 12||Aug 18||March 1**|
|Date of Departure||TEAN Orientation||Internship Starts||Internship Ends||Return to the USA||Application Deadline**|
|Spring (14 Weeks)||Jan 20||Jan 22-24||Jan 25||April 29||May 1||Nov 16|
*This end date includes the optional 4-Day Great Barrier Reef excursion. Students who do not participate in the excursion will return to the USA on July 17 for the May Intake and August 14 for the June Intake.
**Late applicants are encouraged to call to check availability.
Fees & Inclusions
- Program Fee: $4725
- Optional Program Housing Fee: $5810
- Program Fee: $3190 (Includes Great Barrier Reef Excursion)
- Optional Program Housing Fee: $2650
- Internship Placement
- Guaranteed, pre-arranged housing including internet
- Four-day Great Barrier Reef excursion
- Services of local TEAN support staff
- Three-day Orientation Program with meals, excursions, accommodations and transportation
- Cultural events and catch ups during the semester such as attending a rugby match
- Pre-departure preparation including flight booking, visa and insurance advisement
- Airport pickup and reception upon arrival
- Extensive professional development exercises both during the pre-departure period and upon re-entry
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
- International airfare ($1,750)
- Domestic airfare in US ($500)
- Meals during the semester ($1,995)
*Numbers are estimated based on previous student experience and budget. Actual amounts will vary depending on student.
Because of visa regulations, all internships are unpaid. Loans, scholarships and grants may be available depending on the type of internship program you undertake. In addition, check with your home institution for the availability of financial assistance and whether any current financial aid can be applied to this program.
A $400 program deposit will be required to begin the internship allocation process. This deposit will be credited towards the final program fee.
In addition, all participants using TEAN housing will be subject to a refundable housing deposit of $350 (less damages and/or cleaning fees.)
Payment Deadline Requirements
To participate on TEAN’s Internship program, students must pay all fees in full by the set deadlines. Deadlines will be outlined throughout the enrollment process with final payments due no later than one month (four weeks) before the program start date.
Internship Refund Policy
- If the applicant cancels after they have paid the program deposit and both before they are offered an internship placement and before the application deadline: $100 cancellation fee.
- If the applicant cancels after they have paid the program deposit and before they are offered an internship placement, but after the application deadline: $200 cancellation fee.
- If the applicant cancels after they are offered a placement and more than 60 days prior to the program start date: $400 cancellation fee.
- If the applicant cancels more than 48 hours after they are offered a placement, 35-60 days prior to the program start date: $1,000 cancellation fee.
- If the applicant cancels more than 48 hours after they are offered a placement, 17-35 days prior to program start date: 60% of the program fee and corresponding housing fee is non-refundable.
- Sixteen days or less prior to program start date, or after program start date: 100% of the program fee and corresponding housing fee is non-refundable.