Fortunately, the Quiksilver Pro took place on the Gold Coast where I was studying abroad. … Read more
With a welcoming student population and five campuses in southeast Queensland, Griffith University offers TEAN students the opportunity to take advantage of a wide range of course offerings while studying at the university’s largest campus on the beautiful Gold Coast. Leading programs in environmental studies, education, political science and more – along with an impressive internship program – make it easy for students to continue their field of study while discovering all that Australia has to offer. The program features high quality beachside housing in Broadbeach or an option to live in fully-furnished on-campus apartments.
Spend a semester at a university with comprehensive course offerings, known for its university-wide commitment to sustainability
Experience living on the beach in our high-quality, off-campus apartments or in on-campus student apartments
Live on the Gold Coast, known for its ideal climate, great beaches and exciting nightlife
Discover Sydney and delve into Australian culture with a comprehensive five-day Orientation Program in the country’s largest city that includes many cultural activities
Take advantage of our pre-semester excursion option to Cairns and explore the Great Barrier Reef
Experience an exotic alternative Spring Break with our optional Thailand excursion
Appreciate access to TEAN’s Gold Coast-based Resident Director and other in-country staff for continued support throughout the semester
Hit the ground running with our Sydney-based Orientation Program. Held over five days, Orientation combines academic and cultural sessions with iconic Aussie experiences. Each activity is designed to help students ease into their semester by introducing all of the senses to Australia. Our historical walking tour of Sydney unveils the treasures of the city while preparing students to take on the city independently. After an inspiring day spent examining Aussie culture, we end with an evening harbor cruise circling the distinctive shells of the Sydney Opera House. On the final day of Orientation, students are transported to their host city where they are met by their local TEAN Resident Director and introduced to their housing and local area.
Select either TEAN’s beachside housing or on-campus student apartments. TEAN’s beach housing places you a block from the beach and a light rail ride to campus. If you don’t want the commute, live on-campus in single rooms with local and international students.
Throughout your semester you will meet with the Gold Coast Resident Director for informal discussions and excursions. Our staff is readily available and able to assist you with any academic, social, or cultural questions or issues that you may face during your time abroad.
About Griffith University – Gold Coast
- Griffith University was established in 1971 as a new kind of Australian university – one that offered courses in progressive fields such as Asian Studies and environmental science. While progressive then, these academic areas are now more relevant than ever.
- Ranked in the top 100 universities in the world for Education, Law, Politics and International Studies, Architecture/Built Environment, and Art and Design based on the QS World University subject rankings.
- While Griffith University has five campuses spread throughout southeastern Queensland, the Gold Coast campus is the largest with 16,500 students.
- Griffith Business School is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), placing Griffith in the top 5% of business schools worldwide.
- The Griffith Gold Coast campus is well-serviced by the Gold Coast’s light rail which runs between TEAN’s beachside housing and stops on-campus, traveling through key areas of the Gold Coast including Surfer’s Paradise. Bus services are also available to this campus.
- The Gold Coast campus of Griffith is just minutes from stunning beaches and is set amongst native bushland. While some students choose to utilize the extensive library for studying, others spread out their books on the green grass or on a nearby sandy beach.
- Students enjoy access to extensive sporting facilities, including an Olympic-standard athletics track, a gym, as well as basketball and tennis courts, while the The ‘UniBar’ offers a place to play pool with new friends. The campus also offers a variety of dining options, including al fresco cafes dotted around the campus for students to always take advantage of the Gold Coast’s perfect climate.
Academic Departments and Schools at Griffith University are divided into 10 academic divisions: Arts, Languages & Criminology, Business, Education, Engineering & Information Technology, Environment, Planning & Architecture, Health, Law, Music, Science, Visual & Creative Arts..
Courses are available in the below disciplines. You can also refer to the Griffith University online course catalog for a listing of all courses. Students enrol in 3 – 4 subjects per semester (between 30 and 50 Griffith credits), which usually transfers as 12 – 16 U.S. semester credits.
|Communications & Media||
|Humanities & Social Sciences||
|Visual, Performing Arts & Design||
The Griffith University Community Internship is a 10-credit point course. The internship places you in a community (not-for-profit) organization related to your major where you put into practice your academic learning and give back to the Gold Coast community.
With more than 450 different placement options, you will be matched to a placement related to your major. A volunteer placement is a great way to demonstrate real-world experience to future employers and get to know the Australian community. The course requires a 50-hour (minimum) commitment in the placement.
More information will be provided to interested students upon application to a TEAN Griffith University program.
- 2.5 GPA.
- Students must be enrolled in a two-year or four-year degree-granting institution at the time of enrollment at Griffith University.
- Second semester, Freshmen students may be considered for acceptance. To undertake the Community Internship students must be in their second year.
Events & Excursions
Activities / Immersion
Our local staff arrange various activities during the semester designed to help immerse you in the local culture. These activities are included in your semester program. In addition, if you have a specific interest or hobby, your Gold Coast-based TEAN Resident Director will be able to point you in the right direction. Below are examples of previous activities arranged for students. Note that activities change each semester.
In addition to the TEAN-organized events, to make sure you don’t miss out on any opportunities, our local staff send out frequent emails letting you know what is happening on the Gold Coast. Ranging from community events to music festivals, we tap you into the local culture right from the start.
Learn to Surf
You can’t come to the Gold Coast and not hit the surf! We get the experts to teach you. After the lesson, Cheyne Horan – ex-world surfing champ and current Australian SLS champion – takes you to the Surfers Paradise Surf Life Saving Club (SLSC) to meet some locals, introduce you to the SLSC culture in Australia and explain why it is so important to Australians.
Gold Coast Titans Rugby League Game
Come and cheer for the Gold Coast Professional Rugby League Team – The Titans. You have to catch this game and see this professional Australian sport in all its glory!!
While the Gold Coast is all about the outdoors, Australians still enjoy their fabulous coffee. We follow their lead and meet up for coffee and cake (or a warm caramel infused doughnut) at various times during the semester. This is a great opportunity to catch up with your Resident Director.
During the semester, you’ll be busy with class and exploring your local area on the weekends. With this in mind, TEAN encourages students to get to know Australia better or travel to even more exotic destinations with pre- and mid-semester excursions organized during school breaks.
Great Barrier Reef
The iconic Great Barrier Reef is home to some of the world’s most stunning waterscapes and unique creatures. Take time to explore its surrounding tropical rainforests and native wildlife while also participating in extreme activities such as whitewater rafting and bungee jumping. Of course, you can also just relax and soak up some of that famous Australian sun. This excursion is usually offered as a pre-semester excursion.
South Island, New Zealand
New Zealand’s South Island offers some of the most magnificent natural environments this planet has to offer and is home to some of the world’s most extreme adventure sports! From the Southern Hemisphere’s highest (and original) bungee jump, to jet boating through ravines, whitewater rafting raging rapids and hiking glaciers, you won’t be bored or disappointed! This excursion is usually offered as a mid-semester break excursion.
Take advantage of Australia’s ideal location in the South Pacific and explore exotic Asian destinations. With TEAN’s exclusive nine-day excursion to Thailand, you’ll find yourself bathing elephants in a river, learning to cook Thai food, visiting exotic temples and spending the evening with hilltribe villagers. With the culture of the north and the beaches of the south, this excursion, usually offered during mid-semester break, is not to be missed.
Don’t miss your chance to explore the hidden gems of Melbourne. On our weekend trip to this uber cool city you’ll explore hidden alleys and be introduced to the sporting culture of Aussie Rules Football. Led by our local Resident Director, this is one place you absolutely must visit.
Date of Departure: Early to mid July, 2016
Program Ends: Mid to late November, 2016
*Exact dates will be provided early Spring 2016
|Date of Departure||Feb 8|
|TEAN Orientation||Feb 10||Feb 14|
|Pre-Semester Excursion||Feb 14||Feb 21|
|Date of Departure||Feb 15|
|TEAN Orientation||Feb 17||Feb 21|
|Pre-Semester Excursion||Not available|
|Housing Move-In||Feb 21|
|University Orientation||Feb 22||Feb 26|
|Classes Begin||Feb 29|
|Semester Break||Mar 28||Apr 1|
|Classes End||June 3|
|Study Period||June 6||June 10|
|Exam Period||June 13||June 25|
|Program Ends||June 26|
Fees & Inclusions
Program Fees: Fees will be updated during Spring 2016, but are expected to be similar to Spring 2016 fees below.
- Tuition and services: $11,900
- Housing (on/off campus): $6,280 – $6,790
- Tuition and services: $11,980
- Housing (on/off campus): $6,6650 – $7,415
- Full tuition
- Guaranteed, pre-arranged, off-campus housing or on-campus housing
- Overseas health insurance, plus evacuation and repatriation insurance
- Services of local Resident Directors
- Five-day Orientation Program with some meals, excursions, accommodations, and transportation
- Cultural events scheduled throughout the semester
- Wireless internet access in all housing
- Access to pre-arranged and affordable cell phone packages
- Access to unique and exciting optional pre-semester and Spring Break trips, which may include Fiji, New Zealand, the Great Barrier Reef, Thailand and other places
- Access to competitive airfares and pre-arranged group flights
- Extensive pre-departure counseling and information packets
- University and course selection advice
- Official academic transcripts from host institution
- Credit approval and transfer assistance
- Help with student visa preparation
- Financial aid transfer planning
- Airport pickup and reception upon arrival and airport transfer at end of semester (provided you are booked on the group flights)
- Arrival Welcome packet containing important local contact details and information
- Gold Coast Farewell Dinner at conclusion of program
- Student union fees at host university
- Host university orientation
What’s Not Included
- Meals during the semester
In addition to the current financial aid you receive, you may want to consider one of our many scholarships. Each year we award thousands of scholarship dollars to qualified program participants. Refer to our Scholarships information for details.
"Studying abroad instilled in me an openness to change and a willingness to experience more."
"My professors at Griffith took time to meet with me and gave me feedback on my work."
We Love Griffith
Resident Director - Queensland
Gold Coast Tip
Organic Food Market
For some great fresh produce, hit up the Miami Organic Food Market. The first and only organic market on the Gold Coast, it’s open every Sunday from 6:00 am until 11:30 am. Visit for the yummiest organic produce on the GC (think fruit, vegetable, breads, olives, cheeses, pasta and more).
Assistant Program Manager
Gold Coast Tip
Surf at Snapper Rocks
Looking for the best surf break as an experienced surfer? Snapper Rocks is the most popular surfing spot on the Coast – nice clean waves and good barrels. There is a reason that the Quicksilver World ASP tour kicks off at this break every year!
Senior Program Manager
Gold Coast Tip
For great coffee and a cool place to just hang, try “Elk” in Broadbeach tucked away from the main area. This place is packed on a weekend, so go during the week. It has a great brekkie (Australian for ‘breakfast’) menu.
From the Blog
My first trip to Australia was my semester abroad with TEAN at Bond University on … Read more
Days that I don’t have to attend any classes are for fun. If you’re looking … Read more