My first trip to Australia was my semester abroad with TEAN at Bond University on … Read more
International College of Management, Sydney
The International College of Management, Sydney (ICMS) provides participants with the unique opportunity to gain practical experience in a variety of management-related fields while being positioned within easy distance of the famous Manly Beach. Host to students from over 40 countries, the college prides itself on its faculty which has extensive experience in real world work – many are still active in their field as hotel managers, event planners and more. Participants also have the option to do an internship with their coursework for ten hours a week during the semester.
Study on a multi-cultural campus which features strong programs in hospitality and business management
Complete an internship for academic credit as part of your semester abroad
Enjoy on-campus accommodations located within easy distance of Manly Beach and just a quick ferry ride to the heart of Sydney
Live in Sydney, the largest and oldest city in Australia, with its magnificent beaches and ideal climate
Take advantage of a comprehensive five-day Pre-semester Cultural Immersion Program at the iconic site of Uluru
Wear business attire to class to prep you for life as a professional in your field of choice
Appreciate access to TEAN’s Sydney-based Resident Director and other in-country staff for continued support throughout the semester
ICMS Cultural Immersion Program
The five-day International Cultural Immersion Program is designed to welcome students to their new life in Australia helping them adjust to academic and cultural differences, introducing them to other study abroad students and exposing them to an exciting area of Australia. Along with support getting acclimated, students discover one of the most beautiful and historically significant areas of the country visiting Uluru (also known as Ayers Rock) at sunrise, doing the stunning Kata Tjuta Valley of the Winds Walk, and enjoying the award-winning Sounds of Silence Experience complete with a delicious dinner and Aboriginal cultural performance under the outback sky.
Please note that TEAN will cover the cost of the program however flights to and from Ayers Rock are not included in above price and student’s responsibility.
Throughout your semester you will meet with the Sydney Resident Director for informal discussions and excursions. Our staff is readily available and able to assist you with any academic, social or cultural questions or issues that you may face during your time abroad.
TEAN students live on campus at ICMS with more than 200 other students. Accommodation is dormitory-style (single, double, triple or quad) with all meals provided, and offers easy access to Manly Beach and shopping district. ICMS also runs a free shuttle bus to the Manly town center. Rooms on campus are equipped with a desk, wardrobe, heating, personal phones and wireless internet. All linen is provided and rooms are vacuumed once a week. Each floor has a kitchenette, common bathrooms, toilets and ironing facilities.
- The International College of Management, Sydney (ICMS) is a leading business school focused in the areas of Event Management, Hospitality Management, International Tourism, Sport Management, Retail Marketing & Property Management.
- ICMS is housed in a heritage listed building over 100 years old, overlooking Sydney’s famous Manly Beach, and only a 15 minute fast-ferry ride to the city.
- Situated on 20 hectares of parkland, students can live on campus in a safe environment with on campus facilities including computer laboratories, library, cafe,bar and full working restaurant, tennis and basketball courts.
- The campus is a five-minute walk to Manly Beach and shopping precinct with its cafes, restaurants and boutiques.
- Strong focus on combining practical work with a strong theoretical foundation.
- Over 1,500 students from over 40 countries. Sixty percent of students are from Australia, with the remainder from all over the world.
- In order to better prepare students to enter the workforce after graduation, ICMS requires students to wear business attire while attending class and their internships.
- Most Faculty members are still employed in the industry, providing real world, current case studies for students. Faculty members include hotel managers, property management experts and event management owners.
The International College of Management, Sydney (ICMS) began as a Hospitality & Tourism College but soon grew to one of the leading Business colleges in Sydney.
Courses are available in the below disciplines. You can also refer to the ICMS online course catalog for a listing of all courses. Students enroll in 3 – 4 subjects per semester (between 12 and 15 ICMS credits), which usually transfers as 12 – 15 U.S. semester credits.
|Communications & Media||
Students studying abroad at the International College of Management, Sydney (ICMS) have the option to undertake an internship during their semester.
Internship Option #1: Three Academic Classes + Internship for credit
At ICMS, students sign up for an internship experience, which will count as their fourth class. The internship involves ten hours per week in Sydney-based companies and are project-based. Any major can apply for an internship and no previous work or internship experience is required. Final marks will be based on supervisor evaluation, final project and final presentation.
Internship Option #2: Four Academic Classes + Internship for credit (at additional expense)
Students may also opt to take four academic classes with an internship component. However, as this exceeds the normal course load (5 classes), students will be charged for their internship. The fee to take an extra course + internship is approximately AUD$2,500.
- 2.5 GPA. Students with a lower GPA may be considered on a case by case basis. Contact TEAN for more information.
- Students who wish to take the internship for credit must have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Sophomore standing at a four-year degree-granting institution at the time of enrollment.
- Freshmen and/or students attending two-year institutions may be considered on a case by case basis.
Activities / Immersion
Our local staff arrange various activities during the semester designed to help immerse you in the local culture. These activities are included in your semester program. In addition, if you have a specific interest or hobby, your Sydney-based TEAN Resident Director will be able to point you in the right direction. Below are examples of previous activities arranged for students. Note that activities change each semester.
In addition to the TEAN-organized events, to make sure you don’t miss out on any opportunities, our local staff send out frequent emails letting you know what is happening in Sydney. Ranging from community events to music festivals, we tap you into the local culture right from the start.
In Australia, each state has a sport that dominates. In New South Wales, rugby league is the dominant sport. We join the local crowds to see a game and your local TEAN staff provide an explanation of the rules.
PERFORMANCE AT THE SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE
While tourists stand around outside taking photos, the locals are inside the Opera House seeing some of the best theatre, opera, dance or musical performances in the world. We join the locals at one of the many performance spaces inside the Sydney Opera House to experience the wonderful arts scene of Australia.
LEARN TO SURF
Australians love the beach – being an island nation with beautiful coastlines and 85% of the population living within an hour of a beach, it’s not surprising. Surfing is the favorite pastime of Aussie beachgoers so we introduce you to this sport early on in the semester with a lesson to get you started riding the waves.
Date of Departure: Early to mid July, 2016
Program Ends: Mid to late November, 2016
*Exact dates will be provided early Spring 2016
|Date of Departure||Jan 31|
|ICMS Uluru Cultural Immersion Program||Feb 2||Feb 7|
|Housing Move-In||Feb 7|
|University Orientation||Feb 8||Feb 12|
|Classes Begin||Feb 15|
|Exam Period||May 3||May 13|
|Program Ends||May 4|
Fees & Inclusions
Program Fees: Fees will be updated during Spring 2016, but are expected to be similar to Spring 2016 fees below.
- Tuition and services: $12,105
- Housing (on campus): $2,200 – $3,000
- Tuition and services: $12,105
- Housing (on campus): $2,200 – $3,000
- Full tuition
- Guaranteed, pre-arranged, on-campus housing
- Overseas health insurance, plus evacuation and repatriation insurance
- Services of local Resident Directors
- Five-day Cultural Immersion Program with meals, excursions, accommodations and ground transportation
- Cultural events scheduled throughout the semester
- Wireless internet access in housing
- Access to pre-arranged and affordable cell phone packages
- Access to competitive airfares and pre-arranged group flights
- Extensive pre-departure counseling and information packets
- University and course selection advice
- Official academic transcripts from host institution
- Credit approval and transfer assistance
- Help with student visa preparation
- Financial aid transfer planning
- Airport pickup and reception in Sydney
- Arrival Welcome packet containing important local contact details and information
- Sydney Farewell Dinner at conclusion of program
- Host university orientation
What’s Not Included
- Meals during the semester
- Airport transfer at end of semester
In addition to the current financial aid you receive, you may want to consider one of our many scholarships. Each year we award thousands of scholarship dollars to qualified program participants. Refer to our Scholarships information for details.
“Studying abroad was the most educational and exciting experience I have ever had.”
“TEAN was so supportive and willing to help with everything.”
We Love ICMS
Senior Program Manager
Night Noodle Markets
Check out the Night Noodle Markets in the fall (Sydney Spring) in October. They take place in Hyde Park and feature restaurants from all over the city. Take a blanket and sit on the lawn with friends, so you can share and try some new foods.
Resident Director - Sydney
Bondi – Coogee Coastal Walk
It won’t take you long to discover the coastal walk from Bondi to Coogee – it has amazing views. It also has a really cool way of always changing and presenting something new. I’ve seen whales off the coast and I love when different weather rolls in and changes the surf. Sculpture by the Sea happens once a year, and places beautiful giant artworks along the walk and in the parks.
From the Blog
No one said a word. The five of us stood there with our hands on our … Read more
Deciding on which school to study at during my study abroad was simple. I knew … Read more