Here are my top 10 reasons as to why I have fallen in love with … Read more
University of New South Wales
Within walking distance of stunning Coogee Beach and home to Australia’s oldest study abroad program, the University of New South Wales (UNSW) offers students an impressive array of courses to choose from. Known for its commitment to innovation and research, UNSW is a leading university not only in Australia but around the world for science, technology and more. Along with enjoying the campus’ convenient location close to both the city center and the beach, UNSW students have guaranteed living arrangements in our Sydney off-campus, high quality housing as well as the option to reside in our beachside housing, literally steps away from the shore.
Study at this innovative Australian university ranked in the top 50 universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2015)
Live in Sydney, the largest and oldest city in Australia, with its magnificent coastline and ideal climate
Explore the Great Barrier Reef and tropical far north Australia during your comprehensive six-day Orientation Program, with a week of adventure and learning
Experience living in the local community in our high-quality, ideally located, off-campus apartments, off-campus in beachside apartments or in on-campus housing
Experience an alternative Spring Break with our optional Thailand excursion
Appreciate access to TEAN’s Sydney-based Resident Director and other in-country staff for continued support throughout the semester
TEAN’s exclusive “Welcome Abroad” Orientation Program takes place in Cairns in the north of Australia famous for its tropical setting and access to the Great Barrier Reef – what better way to start the semester than a week full of adventure, including scuba diving and snorkeling on the largest coral reef system in the world? Your Australia Orientation is designed to set you up for a successful semester by introducing you to the local culture and academics while also getting to know your soon to be friends and having an exciting journey in the process. On the final day of Orientation, students travel to their host city where they are met by their local TEAN Resident Director and introduced to their housing and local area.
Students attending the University of New South Wales have numerous options. Live in high quality apartments five minutes by bus from the famous Bondi Beach, ten minutes by subway to Sydney’s downtown, 15 minutes by bus to UNSW, and within a short walking distance to all necessary services. Alternatively TEAN UNSW students also have the option to either live in quality apartments on Coogee Beach, a short bus ride to campus, or on-campus housing with local and international students.
Throughout your semester you will meet with the Sydney Resident Director for informal discussions and excursions. Our staff is readily available and able to assist you with any academic, social or cultural issues that you may face during your time abroad.
About The University of New South Wales
- Established in 1949, UNSW has maintained an academic emphasis in the scientific, technological and professional disciplines from the very beginning boasting the top ranked Engineering school in the country, while also growing into a comprehensive university it is today.
- Ranked in the top 50 universities in the world, and fifth in Australia by the QS World University Rankings, UNSW also has 18 subject areas ranked in the world’s top 50 subjects – with Accounting and Finance ranked 12th in the world – based on the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015.
- The university has produced more technology entrepreneurs in the past 15 years and more of Australia’s tops CEOs leading ASX100 companies studied at UNSW than any other Australian university. UNSW also has more millionaire alumni that any other university.
- Concentrating on innovation, technology and creativity, UNSW not only supports students’ learning and practical experience, but produces important research and knowledge that helps inform policy and tackling the world’s current critical issues from climate change to cutting edge medical treatments.
- With an enrollment of more than 50,000, including international students from more than 128 countries, the University of New South Wales provides a cosmopolitan experience.
- Students may choose to participate in an internship program for credit which helps expose you to real life professional experiences in Marketing, Political Science, Social Science and Policy, Media Studies, Banking and Finance, Criminal Justice and Biological/Environmental Sciences.
- Located in Kensington, a suburb of Sydney, UNSW’s main campus lies within a few miles of popular oceanside communities like Coogee Beach. Students enjoy its modern setting coupled with easy access to a multitude of nearby seaside suburbs and acres of parklands providing the perfect combination of urban living with Australia’s stunning natural environment. While situated close to the stunning coastline, UNSW is less than five miles from Sydney’s Central Business District and less than 30 minutes from the iconic Sydney Harbor.
Academic Departments and Schools at the University of New South Wales are divided into eight academic divisions: Art and Design; Arts and Social SCiences; Built Environment; Business; Engineering; Law; Medicine and Science.
Courses are available in the below disciplines. You can also refer to the University of New South Wales online course catalog for a listing of all courses. Students enroll in 4 subjects per semester (24 UNSW credits), which usually transfers as 15 – 16 U.S. semester credits.
|Communications & Media||
|Humanities & Social Sciences||
|Visual, Performing Arts & Design||
- 3.0 GPA. Students with a slightly lower GPA should contact TEAN and may be admitted on a case-by-case basis.
- Sophomore standing at a four-year degree-granting institution at the time of enrollment. Second semester Freshmen may be admitted on a case-by-case basis.
Events & Excursions
Activities / Immersion
Our local staff arrange various activities during the semester designed to help immerse you in the local culture. These activities are included in your semester program. In addition, if you have a specific interest or hobby, your Sydney-based TEAN Resident Director will be able to point you in the right direction. Below are examples of previous activities arranged for students. Note that activities change each semester.
In addition to the TEAN-organized events, to make sure you don’t miss out on any opportunities, our local staff send out frequent emails letting you know what is happening in Sydney. Ranging from community events to music festivals, we tap you into the local culture right from the start.
In Australia, each state has a sport that dominates. In New South Wales, rugby league is the dominant sport. We join the local crowds to see a game and your local TEAN staff provide an explanation of the rules.
Sydney Opera House Performance
While tourists stand around outside taking photos, the locals are inside the Opera House seeing some of the best theater, opera, dance or musical performances in the world. We join the locals at one of the many performance spaces inside the Sydney Opera House to experience the wonderful arts scene of Australia.
LEARN TO SURF
Australians love the beach – being an island nation with beautiful coastlines and 85% of the population living within an hour of a beach, it’s not surprising. Surfing is the favorite pastime of Aussie beachgoers so we introduce you to this sport early on in the semester with a lesson to get you started riding the waves.
During the semester, you’ll be busy with class and exploring your local area on the weekends. With this in mind, TEAN encourages students to get to know Australia better or travel to even more exotic destinations with pre- and mid-semester excursions organized during school breaks. New Zealand’s South Island offers some of the most magnificent natural environments this planet has to offer and is home to some of the world’s most extreme adventure sports! From the Southern Hemisphere’s highest (and original) bungee jump, to jet boating through ravines, whitewater rafting raging rapids and hiking glaciers, you won’t be bored or disappointed! This excursion is usually offered as a mid-semester break excursion. Thailand Take advantage of Australia’s ideal location in the South Pacific and explore exotic Asian destinations. With TEAN’s exclusive nine-day excursion to Thailand, you’ll find yourself bathing elephants in a river, learning to cook Thai food, visiting exotic temples and spending the evening with hilltribe villagers. With the culture of the north and the beaches of the south, this excursion, usually offered during mid-semester break, is not to be missed. Don’t miss your chance to explore the hidden gems of Melbourne. On our weekend trip to this uber cool city you’ll explore hidden alleys and be introduced to the sporting culture of Aussie Rules Football. Led by our local Resident Director, this is one place you absolutely must visit.
South Island, New Zealand
During the semester, you’ll be busy with class and exploring your local area on the weekends. With this in mind, TEAN encourages students to get to know Australia better or travel to even more exotic destinations with pre- and mid-semester excursions organized during school breaks.
New Zealand’s South Island offers some of the most magnificent natural environments this planet has to offer and is home to some of the world’s most extreme adventure sports! From the Southern Hemisphere’s highest (and original) bungee jump, to jet boating through ravines, whitewater rafting raging rapids and hiking glaciers, you won’t be bored or disappointed! This excursion is usually offered as a mid-semester break excursion.
Take advantage of Australia’s ideal location in the South Pacific and explore exotic Asian destinations. With TEAN’s exclusive nine-day excursion to Thailand, you’ll find yourself bathing elephants in a river, learning to cook Thai food, visiting exotic temples and spending the evening with hilltribe villagers. With the culture of the north and the beaches of the south, this excursion, usually offered during mid-semester break, is not to be missed.
Don’t miss your chance to explore the hidden gems of Melbourne. On our weekend trip to this uber cool city you’ll explore hidden alleys and be introduced to the sporting culture of Aussie Rules Football. Led by our local Resident Director, this is one place you absolutely must visit.
|Date of Departure||July 10|
|TEAN Orientation||July 12||July 17|
|Housing Move-In||July 17|
|University Orientation||July 20||July 22|
|Classes Begin||July 25|
|Semester Break||Sept 24||Oct 3|
|Classes End||Oct 28|
|Study Period||Oct 31||Nov 3|
|Exam Period||Nov 4||Nov 19|
|Program Ends||Nov 20|
|Date of Departure||Feb 8|
|TEAN Orientation||Feb 10||Feb 14|
|Optional Pre-Semester Excursion||Feb 14||Feb 21|
|Date of Departure||Feb 15|
|TEAN Orientation||Feb 17||Feb 21|
|Optional Pre-Semester Excursion||Not available|
|Housing Move-In||Feb 21|
|University Orientation||Feb 22||Feb 26|
|Classes Begin||Feb 29|
|Semester Break||Mar 25||Apr 3|
|Classes End||Jun 5|
|Study Period||Jun 6||Jun 9|
|Exam Period||Jun 10||Jun 27|
|Program Ends||Jun 28|
Fees & Inclusions
- Tuition and services: $16,160
- Housing (on/off campus): $3,500 – $7,540
- Full tuition
- Guaranteed, pre-arranged, off-campus housing (on-campus housing also an option in some cases)
- Overseas health insurance, plus evacuation and repatriation insurance
- Services of local Resident Directors
- Five-day Orientation Program with some meals, excursions, accommodations and transportation
- Cultural events scheduled throughout the semester
- Wireless internet access in all housing
- Access to pre-arranged and affordable cell phone packages
- Access to unique and exciting optional pre-semester and Spring Break trips, which may include New Zealand, the Great Barrier Reef, Thailand and other places
- Access to competitive airfares and pre-arranged group flights
- Extensive pre-departure counseling and information packets
- University and course selection advice
- Official academic transcripts from host institution
- Credit approval and transfer assistance
- Help with student visa preparation
- Financial aid transfer planning
- Airport pickup and reception in Sydney
- Arrival Welcome packet containing important local contact details and information
- Sydney Farewell Dinner at conclusion of program
- Host university orientation
What’s Not Included
- International airfare ($1,800)
- Domestic airfare in US ($500)
- Student visa ($525)
- Books ($365)
- Meals during the semester ($2,000)
- Airport transfer at the end of the semester ($50)
*Numbers are estimated based on previous student experience and budget. Actual amounts will vary depending on student.
In addition to the current financial aid you receive, you may want to consider one of our many scholarships. Each year we award thousands of scholarship dollars to qualified program participants. Refer to our Scholarships information for details.
"The Quadrangle Lawn at UNSW was a great place to relax in between classes with friends."
"I never felt alone and knew that if I ever needed something TEAN would be there for me."
We Love UNSW
Manager of Enrollment
Food courts in Australia are probably not what you are used to from back home – here you can get some really fresh, delicious options for dinner and lunch. Check out Sussex Centre food court in Chinatown and Level 5 at Westfield in the CBD to start.
Resident Director - Sydney
Sydney Opera House
The Sydney Opera House isn’t just for opera. You’d be surprised at the variety of shows and talks they host there. Subscribe to the opera house’s newsletter so you can be in the know about upcoming events and ticket releases.
From the Blog
My first trip to Australia was my semester abroad with TEAN at Bond University on … Read more
No one said a word. The five of us stood there with our hands on our … Read more
Deciding on which school to study at during my study abroad was simple. I knew … Read more