Despite the complaints you might hear from some locals, the public transport in Sydney is … Read more
University of Sydney
The University of Sydney boasts a beautiful campus with grassy courtyards and dramatic sandstone buildings in the middle of the city’s most artistic neighborhood. Featuring a multitude of courses covering a variety of subjects, the university is also considered one of the top three universities in the country. Students have the added option of completing a professional internship, to further boost their education and resume, and access to guaranteed living arrangements in our high-quality apartments.
Study at one of the top three universities in the country, ranked in the top 50 universities in the world with liberal arts and humanities programs ranked 14th globally (QS World University Rankings 2015)
Live in Sydney, the largest and oldest city in Australia, with its magnificent coastline and ideal climate
Explore the Great Barrier Reef and tropical far north Australia during your comprehensive six-day Orientation Program, with a week of adventure and learning
Enjoy living in the local community in our high-quality apartments near Sydney’s best beaches or in student apartments located near the campus
Experience an alternative Spring Break with our optional Thailand or New Zealand excursion
Appreciate access to TEAN’s Sydney-based Resident Director and other in-country staff for continued support throughout the semester
TEAN’s exclusive “Welcome Abroad” Orientation Program takes place in Cairns in the north of Australia famous for its tropical setting and access to the Great Barrier Reef – what better way to start the semester than a week full of adventure, including scuba diving and snorkeling on the largest coral reef system in the world? Your Australia Orientation is designed to set you up for a successful semester by introducing you to the local culture and academics while also getting to know your soon to be friends and having an exciting journey in the process. On the final day of Orientation, students travel to their host city where they are met by their local TEAN Resident Director and introduced to their housing and local area.
Students attending the University of Sydney have the option to live in student apartments located just 10 minute walk from campus. Alternatively, students can live in high quality apartments close to Sydney’s famous beaches, and commute to campus via public transport. These quality apartments are integrated in the local community and shared with other TEAN students.
Throughout your semester you will meet with the Sydney Resident Director for informal discussions and excursions. Our staff is readily available and able to assist you with any academic, social or cultural issues that you may face during your time abroad.
About The University of Sydney
- Founded in 1850, the University of Sydney is consistently ranked in the top three universities in Australia, and in the top 50 universities in the world.
- The university has 21 subjects areas ranked in the top 40 universities in the world, with liberal arts and humanities ranked 14th globally. And life sciences, social sciences and management all ranked 20th in the world – and second in Australia – this is truly a prestigious university. The Business School is AACSB accredited. (QS World University subject rankings)
- The high rankings don’t just extend to the academics, the university campus is ranked as 9th most beautiful in the world by a recent Huffington Post article. The spacious campus boasts beautiful sandstone buildings on grassy courtyards, combined with modern architecture. With its combination of sandstone colonial buildings and modern architecture adjacent to leafy Victoria Park, the University of Sydney offers one of the most vibrant and historic settings available to students.
- The University of Sydney’s campus is located on the edge of Sydney’s Central Business District. The university is surrounded by many unique inner-city neighborhoods known for their ”offbeat” artistic culture and café scene.
- The university has produced six Australian prime ministers, two Nobel laureates, 3 astronauts, 110 Rhodes scholars and a collection of internationally renowned authors, academics, artists, cultural leaders, world business leaders and public figures.
- With an enrollment of more than 50,000, including 10,000 international students from more than 145 countries, the University of Sydney provides a bustling and multicultural experience.
Academic Departments and Schools at the University of Sydney are divided into 15 academic divisions: Agriculture and Environment; Architecture, Design and Planning; Arts and Social Sciences; Business (The University of Sydney Business School); Dentistry; Education and Social Work; Engineering and Information Technologies; Health Sciences; Law (The University of Sydney Law School); Medicine (The University of Sydney Medical School); Nursing and Midwifery (Sydney Nursing School); Pharmacy; Science; Sydney College of the Arts; Sydney Conservatorium of Music and Veterinary Science.
Over 3,000 courses are available in the below disciplines. You can also refer to our University of Sydney online course catalog instructions for a listing of all courses, and how to navigate the online catalog. Students enroll in 3 – 4 subjects per semester (between 18 and 32 USyd credits), which usually transfers as 12 – 16 U.S. semester credits.
|Communications & Media||
|Humanities & Social Sciences||
|Visual, Performing Arts & Design||
- 2.8 GPA to apply.
Events & Excursions
Activities / Immersion
Our local staff arrange various activities during the semester designed to help immerse you in the local culture. These activities are included in your semester program. In addition, if you have a specific interest or hobby, your Sydney-based TEAN Resident Director will be able to point you in the right direction. Below are examples of previous activities arranged for students. Note that activities change each semester.
In addition to the TEAN-organized events, to make sure you don’t miss out on any opportunities, our local staff send out frequent emails letting you know what is happening in Sydney. Ranging from community events to music festivals, we tap you into the local culture right from the start.
Rugby League Match
In Australia, each state has a sport that dominates. In New South Wales, rugby league is the dominant sport. We join the local crowds to see a game, and your local TEAN staff provide an explanation of the rules.
Sydney Opera House Performance
While tourists stand around outside taking photos, the locals are inside the Opera House seeing some of the best theatre, opera, dance or musical performances in the world. We join the locals at one of the many performance spaces inside the Sydney Opera House to experience the wonderful arts scene of Australia.
LEARN TO SURF
Australians love the beach. Being an island nation with beautiful beaches, and 85% of the population living within an hour of a beach, it’s not surprising. And surfing is the favorite pastime of Aussie beachgoers. We introduce you to this sport early on in the semester with a surfing lesson.
During the semester, you’ll be busy with class and exploring your local area on the weekends. With this in mind, TEAN encourages students to get to know Australia better or travel to even more exotic destinations with pre- and mid-semester excursions organized during school breaks. New Zealand’s South Island offers some of the most magnificent natural environments this planet has to offer and is home to some of the world’s most extreme adventure sports! From the Southern Hemisphere’s highest (and original) bungee jump, to jet boating through ravines, whitewater rafting raging rapids and hiking glaciers, you won’t be bored or disappointed! This excursion is usually offered as a mid-semester break excursion. Thailand Take advantage of Australia’s ideal location in the South Pacific and explore exotic Asian destinations. With TEAN’s exclusive nine-day excursion to Thailand, you’ll find yourself bathing elephants in a river, learning to cook Thai food, visiting exotic temples and spending the evening with hilltribe villagers. With the culture of the north and the beaches of the south, this excursion, usually offered during mid-semester break, is not to be missed. Don’t miss your chance to explore the hidden gems of Melbourne. On our weekend trip to this uber cool city you’ll explore hidden alleys and be introduced to the sporting culture of Aussie Rules Football. Led by our local Resident Director, this is one place you absolutely must visit.
South Island, New Zealand
During the semester, you’ll be busy with class and exploring your local area on the weekends. With this in mind, TEAN encourages students to get to know Australia better or travel to even more exotic destinations with pre- and mid-semester excursions organized during school breaks.
New Zealand’s South Island offers some of the most magnificent natural environments this planet has to offer and is home to some of the world’s most extreme adventure sports! From the Southern Hemisphere’s highest (and original) bungee jump, to jet boating through ravines, whitewater rafting raging rapids and hiking glaciers, you won’t be bored or disappointed! This excursion is usually offered as a mid-semester break excursion.
Take advantage of Australia’s ideal location in the South Pacific and explore exotic Asian destinations. With TEAN’s exclusive nine-day excursion to Thailand, you’ll find yourself bathing elephants in a river, learning to cook Thai food, visiting exotic temples and spending the evening with hilltribe villagers. With the culture of the north and the beaches of the south, this excursion, usually offered during mid-semester break, is not to be missed.
Don’t miss your chance to explore the hidden gems of Melbourne. On our weekend trip to this uber cool city you’ll explore hidden alleys and be introduced to the sporting culture of Aussie Rules Football. Led by our local Resident Director, this is one place you absolutely must visit.
|Date of Departure||Feb 12|
|TEAN Orientation||Feb 14||Feb 19|
|University Orientation||Feb 27||March 3|
|Classes Begin||March 6|
|Semester Break||April 14||April 21|
|Classes End||June 9|
|Study Period||June 12||June 16|
|Exam Period||June 19||July 1|
|Program Ends||July 2|
|Date of Departure||July 10|
|TEAN Orientation||July 12||July 17|
|Housing Move-In||July 17|
|University Orientation||July 18||July 22|
|Classes Begin||July 25|
|Semester Break||Sept 26||Sept 30|
|Classes End||Oct 28|
|Study Period||Oct 31||Nov 4|
|Exam Period||Nov 7||Nov 19|
|Program Ends||Nov 20|
Fees & Inclusions
- Tuition and services: $16,160
- Housing (on/off campus): $6,870 – $7,850
- Full tuition
- Guaranteed, pre-arranged, off-campus housing (on-campus housing also an option in some cases)
- Overseas health insurance, plus evacuation and repatriation insurance
- Services of local Resident Directors
- Six-day Orientation Program with some meals, excursions, accommodations and transportation
- Cultural events scheduled throughout the semester
- Wireless internet access in all housing
- Access to pre-arranged and affordable cell phone packages
- Access to unique and exciting optional excursions which may include New Zealand, Thailand and other places
- Access to competitive airfares and pre-arranged group flights
- Extensive pre-departure counseling and information packets
- University and course selection advice
- Official academic transcripts from host institution
- Credit approval and transfer assistance
- Help with student visa preparation
- Financial aid transfer planning
- Airport pickup and reception in Sydney
- Arrival Welcome packet containing important local contact details and information
- Sydney Farewell Dinner at conclusion of program
- Host university orientation
What’s Not Included
- International airfare ($1,800)
- Domestic airfare in US ($500)
- Student visa ($475)
- Books ($365)
- Meals during the semester ($2,000)
- Airport transfer at the end of the semester ($50)
*Numbers are estimated based on previous student experience and budget. Actual amounts will vary depending on student.
In addition to the current financial aid you receive, you may want to consider one of our many scholarships. Each year we award thousands of scholarship dollars to qualified program participants, including a full ride scholarship for a Fall or Summer program. Refer to our Scholarships information for details.
"The University of Sydney is impeccable - students are eager to learn and the professors are kind and passionate."
"My study abroad experience with TEAN was the greatest decision I have ever made, that will now influence the rest of my life."
We Love USyd
While Sydney has many famous beaches, take the time to explore the more hidden, much less crowded harborside beaches like Milk Beach, Redleaf, Camp Cove, all accessible by public transport. There are some really beautiful spots for you to discover.
Senior Program Manager
Take the ferry to Cockatoo Island in Sydney Harbour. It has a interesting history, and you can get some great views of the city. They sometimes host special events here, such as art exhibitions, but you can just go anytime if you want to wander around and explore.
From the Blog
My first trip to Australia was my semester abroad with TEAN at Bond University on … Read more
No one said a word. The five of us stood there with our hands on our … Read more