Have you dreamt of studying at a university in Australia or New Zealand but don’t know where to start? Navigating a different educational and admissions system can be difficult but The Education Abroad Network (TEAN)’s experienced staff can assist you through the whole process. TEAN is an official representative of six universities in New Zealand and 18 universities in Australia. With these connections, and our Program Managers who have worked in higher education within the region for more than ten years, we can help you quickly find the right Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD program in Australia or New Zealand that fits your needs.


Full Degree Programs


Program Dates Dependent on University

All Majors

Graduate Diploma
Master's Degree


New Zealand



TEAN is an official representative of the below universities. These universities recognise TEAN’s expertise in providing the necessary services to students in the USA. And it’s a free service for you, the Australian and New Zealand universities pay us to help you.

Australian Universities 
  • Bond University
  • Deakin University
  • Griffith University
  • James Cook University
  • Macquarie University
  • Monash University
  • Murdoch University
  • Queensland University of Technology (QUT) 
  • RMIT University
  • University of Melbourne
  • University of Newcastle
  • University of New South Wales
  • University of Notre Dame, Australia
  • University of Queensland
  • University of Sydney
  • University of Western Australia
  • University of Wollongong
  • University of Technology, Sydney (UTS) 
Private Degree Granting Institutions
  • International College of Management, Sydney
New Zealand Universities
  • AUT University
  • Lincoln University
  • Massey University
  • University of Canterbury
  • University of Otago

Graduate Degrees

Graduate Degree Structure

Graduate Diploma or Postgraduate Certification

The Graduate Diploma is usually an intensive, one-semester to one-year course available for students that have already earned a Bachelor’s Degree. The graduate diploma has no US equivalent, but can be used to meet pre-requisites for a graduate degree. This degree can also lead to a professional certification in certain fields. The Graduate Diploma offers an excellent opportunity for students looking for a short-term, international experience with a resulting qualification.

Master’s Degree

The Master’s Degree is similar in structure to the US but can take 1 – 2.5 years to complete. There are three types of Master’s Degrees offered by our partner universities, the Master’s by coursework, the Master’s by research, and the Master’s by coursework and research. The Master’s by coursework is a degree that requires the student to attend classes and complete assignments and projects. Students are assessed by written examination and assignments. The Master’s by research consists of a research project and written thesis. There is no coursework involved. The Master’s by coursework and research consists of one year of coursework and a research project related to your area of interest.


The Ph.D. is a 3 – 5 year program of self-directed research that culminates in a major dissertation. A sound research topic and short thesis are required as part of the admissions application.

Admissions Requirements

While TEAN can offer advice and assistance with the application process, we cannot approve an application for admission. Admissions decisions are made solely by the overseas university. Below is a list of general guidelines and admissions requirements for our Australian partner universities.

  • In addition to providing your official academic transcripts, you may be required to take the SAT or ACT.
  • Most universities do not require a minimum high school GPA for admission. This does not mean that these universities are easier to gain admission into. In fact, in some cases, they may be more competitive. Each piece of your application will be assessed for admission, including your high school GPA.
  • If you are currently an undergraduate student in the US and are hoping to transfer to an overseas university to complete your degree, you may not need to complete the SAT or ACT to gain admission. If you have completed 30 or more credit hours at an undergraduate level, this may be sufficient for entry. If you have not completed 30 credits, you will most likely need to submit your high school transcripts and SAT or ACT scores. You should also submit syllabi of all previous university coursework and all college transcripts.

Degree Recognition

Degree Recognition

While you may or may not be familiar with the university to which you are applying, TEAN’s partner universities are highly recognized institutions known the world over for academic excellence and leading research. Four of the Australian universities are ranked in the top 50 universities in the world based on the QS World University Rankings. Your degree from an Australian or New Zealand university will be recognized by both employers and universities worldwide. In fact, the majority of our university partners have received approval from the U.S. Department of Education to participate in the Federal Financial Aid program.

Academic Calendar

Academic Calendar

The Australian academic year runs from February to November, with the first semester held from February to June and the second semester held from July to November. Many graduate programs in Australia allow students to start in the February or July semester.

Selecting Your Program

Selecting Your Program

TEAN’s Full Degree Program Manager has more than ten years of experience working with universities in the region, and can advise you on relevant schools for the your academic area of interest. Feel free to contact Helen Armitage by email for assistance selecting the graduate degree program that is right for you.

Financial Aid

Financial Aid

While tuition fees tend to be lower in Australia compared with the U.S., you may still require financial assistance in order to complete your degree program. While TEAN cannot process and distribute financial aid, we can assist and advise you about the procedures for applying and sources of funding available.

U.S. Federal Financial Aid

If you are a U.S. citizen, the federal government allows you to use U.S. Federal Student Aid at most of TEAN’s partner universities. You may be eligible for a Stafford Loan for your degree program along with the repayment and deferment schemes it includes. The amount of aid you are eligible to receive will depend on the type of degree you are studying and your income tax status, whether dependent or independent.

To apply for U.S. Federal Financial Aid you will need to complete a FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid, available from the U.S. government beginning in November of the previous year for which it is applicable. Your FAFSA is due on or before March 15. TEAN cannot process the FAFSA, but we can guide you through this sometimes confusing process.


Frequently Asked Questions

The application asks for a copy of my passport, but mine is expired/I do not have it yet, Do I need to wait until my new passport arrives to submit my application?

No, go ahead and submit your application to TEAN. The overseas university can still evaluate your application and grant you a conditional acceptance until you can send a copy of your passport.

How long will it take to hear if I am accepted to the overseas university?

Allow 6 – 8 weeks for the university to process your application and make an admissions decision.

Who will notify me if I am accepted?

In some cases the university will contact you directly. Other times TEAN will notify you. Either way, you will receive notification as soon as a decision has been reached.

Can I submit photocopies of my transcript with my application?

No. Only official transcripts will be accepted at overseas universities. Please request an official transcript from the Office of the Registrar at each of the colleges or universities you have attended. You will need to submit at least one transcript per application.

I’ve already taken college courses in the U.S. Will my credits be accepted at an overseas university?

This is up to the discretion of the overseas university to which you are applying. TEAN cannot make a determination or evaluation of previous coursework. If the overseas university grants you admission into a full degree program, your acceptance will indicate which courses will and will not transfer.

When do I begin applying for accommodation?

Once you have been accepted. At this point, the overseas university will send you information about your accommodation options. TEAN is able to provide assistance and advice regarding housing.