Wondering what to do with the hundreds of photos you took during your semester studying or interning abroad with TEAN? Are your family and friends tired of seeing yet another slideshow you have compiled of all the cool things you did? Well, now you can share your photos with the rest of the world AND potentially win some cash for them. Enter your photos into the TEAN Photo Contest and you could win up to $200 in prize money. There will be a winner named for each category plus one overall winner and a “Best of Instagram” winner. This contest is open to TEAN program alumni only. Submit your photos by January 30, 2017.
Note that all category entries can include people.
- Study and Work – This category is dedicated to photos related to your academic or internship experience. Enter photos of your university campus, academic field trips, internship placement and other learning moments from your time abroad.
- I’m with TEAN – Photos from TEAN related activities, orientation, mid-semester excursions and cultural activities. Kangaroo and elephant selfies, anyone?
- The City – Architecture, monuments, street art or any places of interest within a city.
- Getting Back to Nature – Landscapes, outdoor activities and wildlife. The perfect category to make everyone jealous of the amazing places you got to see while you were abroad.
- Living Like a Local – Everyday life, local festivals, cultural activities, local markets, events and places in your city. Here’s your chance to show the unique things you love about your city.
- Anything and Everything – Submit other pics that don’t fit into any of the above categories. Got a super artsy pic that you’re proud of? Submit it in this category. Have a really cool shot of your favorite meal abroad? Yup, it can go here, too.
- Best of Instagram — All photos that have already been tagged with #TEANabroad are automatically entered for this category. You can tag past photos or upload to enter them now.
A few rules:
- No photographs incorporating illegal activities and/or alcohol will be considered.
- Only submit photos that belong to you.
How to Enter
Submissions must follow the below instructions in order to be considered:
- Submit as many photos for as many categories as you’d like! Yay!
- In your caption, describe what we see in the photo and tell the story behind the photo.
Hint: Don’t underestimate the importance of this. Only pics with well-thought out captions really stand a chance of winning the top prize.
- Photos must be a minimum of 2100×1500 pixels or more.
- Name photograph submissions as follows:
Your first name_Your last name_number.jpg
For example, Hugh_Jackman_1.jpg; Hugh_Jackman_2.jpg etc.
- Email one photo per email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Photo contest”.
- Include the following information in the body of the email:
– your first and last name
– your study abroad program (host university/title of program)
– semester abroad (i.e. Fall 2016)
– your Instagram username (if you have an account)
– your home university
– category you’re entering (from the list above)
– caption for the photo
- For the “Best of Instagram” category we will be judging all photos that are already tagged with #TEANabroad on Instagram. You can edit captions and add #TEANabroad to photos that you shared previously or upload new photos with the tag to enter them. This is the only category that you can enter this way. All other entries must be emailed as explained above.
Entries will be judged as follows:
- Composition (33%)
- Clarity and technical quality (33%)
- Story behind the photo, as described in your caption (33%)
- The X factor (1% – we had to get to 100% somehow)
Shortlisted pics will be posted to the TEAN Facebook page, where we’ll ask you to help select the best photos. Final decisions on the winners will be made by an independent panel of judges, which includes TEAN staff and previous TEAN photo contest winners.
First Place Overall Photo: $150USD
Best of Instagram Photo: $100USD
Category Winners (x6): $50USD
Terms and Conditions
- This contest is open to any TEAN alumni. So if you’ve submitted photos in previous TEAN photo contests, you can still enter this time but they need to be new photos.
- All photos must have been taken by a TEAN program participant.
- The copyright of submitted and winning photos will be owned by the participating student.
- By submitting your photograph(s), you permit The Education Abroad Network to use your photographs, captions and your name in conjunction with any photographs used to promote The Education Abroad Network programs in any and all media.
- The deadline to enter is January 30, 2017 and late entries will not be considered.
If you have any questions, please email Hannah DeMilta at The Education Abroad Network.
PAST PHOTO CONTEST WINNERS
If you would like to see previous photo contest entries and winners, click on the below links.
We can’t wait to see your entries!