My first trip to Australia was my semester abroad with TEAN at Bond University on … Read more
University of Technology, Sydney (UTS)
Specializing in innovation and creativity, the University of Technology, Sydney’s campus seamlessly blends into the bustling city streets on the edge of Sydney’s Central Business District. A leader in technology curriculum and cultivating young entrepreneurs, the university offers a wide array of courses for students to choose from including business, international studies and the sciences. Take advantage of student housing within walking distance to campus or live in TEAN apartments that offer convenient access via public transportation for both the UTS campus and some of Sydney’s most beautiful beaches.
Study at a university that is known academically for its emphasis on innovation, creativity and technology
Live in Sydney, the largest and oldest city in Australia, with its magnificent coastline and ideal climate
Explore the Great Barrier Reef and tropical far north Australia during your comprehensive six-day Orientation Program, with a week of adventure and learning
Experience living in the local community in our high-quality apartments near Sydney’s best beaches or in student apartments located near the campus
Experience an alternative Spring Break with our optional Thailand excursion
Appreciate access to TEAN’s in-country Resident Director for continued support throughout the semester
TEAN’s exclusive “Welcome Abroad” Orientation Program takes place in Cairns in the north of Australia famous for its tropical setting and access to the Great Barrier Reef – what better way to start the semester than a week full of adventure, including scuba diving and snorkeling on the largest coral reef system in the world? Your Australia Orientation is designed to set you up for a successful semester by introducing you to the local culture and academics while also getting to know your soon to be friends and having an exciting journey in the process. On the final day of Orientation, students travel to their host city where they are met by their local TEAN Resident Director and introduced to their housing and local area.
Students attending UTS have numerous great housing options to cater for a range of budgets and living needs. Live in student apartments located a short walk from campus or in high quality apartments close to Sydney’s famous beaches and commute to campus to public transport. These apartments are integrated into the local community and shared with other TEAN students. Additionally, students can also live in UTS Student Residences with a mix of local and international students.
Throughout your semester you will meet with the Sydney Resident Director for informal discussions and excursions. Our staff is readily available and able to assist you with any academic, social or cultural issues that you may face during your time abroad.
- UTS is known academically for its focus on innovation, creativity and technology with a vision to be a world-leading university of technology.
- Located on the edge of Sydney’s Central Business District, UTS is in the heart of Sydney’s creative precinct. UTS’s character is defined by the student-friendly, “offbeat,” artistic inner-city neighborhood that is seamlessly integrated into the campus.
- UTS is ranked as the highest performing university in Australia under 50 years old (Times Higher Education 100 under 50 Rankings 2015).
- Located in the heart of Sydney’s media district, it’s not surprising that UTS has one of the most competitive and well-respected communications and media programs in Australia, ranked in the top 50 in the world (QS World University subject rankings).
- The courses at UTS are progressive in nature, intellectually engaging and frequently linked to real-world industry opportunities.
- The UTS Faculty of Business, which is AACSB accredited, is one of Australia’s largest and instructs approximately 30% of the UTS student population. Offering accounting, finance, economics, international business, management, marketing and emerging fields such as e-business, the UTS business program is both innovative and progressive.
- Positioned in the heart of Sydney, between the Central Business District and the student hubs of Glebe, Newtown and Surry Hills, UTS reflects the city around it; it is modern, multicultural and friendly. Sydney’s main train and bus station, Central Railway Station, is located only minutes away, giving UTS students all of Sydney at their doorstep.
- Modern architecture and unique buildings help to paint a picture of the campus. UTS classroom buildings interspersed with office buildings, restaurants and shops add a vibrancy to the local environment. With other local universities just a short walk up the road, the surrounding area is crawling with students and the atmosphere is energetic, dynamic and lively.
Academic Departments and Schools at UTS are divided into eight academic divisions: Arts and Sciences; UTS Business School; Design, Architecture and Building; Engineering and Information Technology; Health; Law; Science and the Graduate School of Health.
Courses are available in the below disciplines. You can also refer to the UTS online course catalog for a listing of all courses. Students enroll in 3 – 4 subjects per semester (between 18 and 24 UNSW credits), which usually transfers as 12 – 16 U.S. semester credits.
|Communications & Media||
|Humanities & Social Sciences||
|Visual, Performing Arts & Design||
- 2.5 GPA. Students with a lower GPA may be considered on a case by case basis. Contact TEAN for more information.
- Sophomore standing at a four-year degree-granting institution at the time of enrollment.
- Freshmen and/or students attending two-year institutions may be considered on a case by case basis.
Events & Excursions
Activities / Immersion
Our local staff arrange various activities during the semester designed to help immerse you in the local culture. These activities are included in your semester program. In addition, if you have a specific interest or hobby, your Sydney-based TEAN Resident Director will be able to point you in the right direction. Below are examples of previous activities arranged for students. Note that activities change each semester.
In addition to the TEAN-organized events, to make sure you don’t miss out on any opportunities, our local staff send out frequent emails letting you know what is happening in Sydney. Ranging from community events to music festivals, we tap you into the local culture right from the start.
Rugby League Match
In Australia, each state has a sport that dominates. In New South Wales, rugby league is the dominant sport. We join the local crowds to see a game and your local TEAN staff provide an explanation of the rules.
Sydney Opera House Performance
While tourists stand around outside taking photos, the locals are inside the Opera House seeing some of the best theatre, opera, dance or musical performances in the world. We join the locals at one of the many performance spaces inside the Sydney Opera House to experience the wonderful arts scene of Australia.
LEARN TO SURF
Australians love the beach -being an island nation with beautiful coastlines and 85% of the population living within an hour of a beach, it’s not surprising. Surfing is the favorite pastime of Aussie beachgoers so we introduce you to this sport early on in the semester with a lesson to get you started riding the waves.
During the semester, you’ll be busy with class and exploring your local area on the weekends. With this in mind, TEAN encourages students to get to know Australia better or travel to even more exotic destinations with pre- and mid-semester excursions organized during school breaks. New Zealand’s South Island offers some of the most magnificent natural environments this planet has to offer and is home to some of the world’s most extreme adventure sports! From the Southern Hemisphere’s highest (and original) bungee jump, to jet boating through ravines, whitewater rafting raging rapids and hiking glaciers, you won’t be bored or disappointed! This excursion is usually offered as a mid-semester break excursion. Thailand Take advantage of Australia’s ideal location in the South Pacific and explore exotic Asian destinations. With TEAN’s exclusive nine-day excursion to Thailand, you’ll find yourself bathing elephants in a river, learning to cook Thai food, visiting exotic temples and spending the evening with hilltribe villagers. With the culture of the north and the beaches of the south, this excursion, usually offered during mid-semester break, is not to be missed. Don’t miss your chance to explore the hidden gems of Melbourne. On our weekend trip to this uber cool city you’ll explore hidden alleys and be introduced to the sporting culture of Aussie Rules Football. Led by our local Resident Director, this is one place you absolutely must visit.
South Island, New Zealand
During the semester, you’ll be busy with class and exploring your local area on the weekends. With this in mind, TEAN encourages students to get to know Australia better or travel to even more exotic destinations with pre- and mid-semester excursions organized during school breaks.
New Zealand’s South Island offers some of the most magnificent natural environments this planet has to offer and is home to some of the world’s most extreme adventure sports! From the Southern Hemisphere’s highest (and original) bungee jump, to jet boating through ravines, whitewater rafting raging rapids and hiking glaciers, you won’t be bored or disappointed! This excursion is usually offered as a mid-semester break excursion.
Take advantage of Australia’s ideal location in the South Pacific and explore exotic Asian destinations. With TEAN’s exclusive nine-day excursion to Thailand, you’ll find yourself bathing elephants in a river, learning to cook Thai food, visiting exotic temples and spending the evening with hilltribe villagers. With the culture of the north and the beaches of the south, this excursion, usually offered during mid-semester break, is not to be missed.
Don’t miss your chance to explore the hidden gems of Melbourne. On our weekend trip to this uber cool city you’ll explore hidden alleys and be introduced to the sporting culture of Aussie Rules Football. Led by our local Resident Director, this is one place you absolutely must visit.
|Date of Departure||July 10|
|TEAN Orientation||July 12||July 17|
|Housing Move-In||July 17|
|University Orientation||July 25||July 29|
|Classes Begin||Aug 1|
|Semester Break||Sept 12||Sept 16|
|Classes End||Oct 21|
|Study Period||Oct 24||Oct 28|
|Exam Period||Oct 29||Nov 12|
|Program Ends||Nov 13|
|Date of Departure||Feb 8|
|TEAN Orientation||Feb 10||Feb 14|
|Optional Pre-Semester Excursion||Feb 14||Feb 21|
|Date of Departure||Feb 15|
|TEAN Orientation||Feb 17||Feb 21|
|Optional Pre-Semester Excursion||Not available|
|Housing Move-In||Feb 21|
|University Orientation||Mar 7||Mar 18|
|Classes Begin||Mar 21|
|Classes End||Jun 10|
|Study Period||Jun 13||Jun 17|
|Exam Period||Jun 18||Jul 2|
|Program Ends||Jul 3|
Fees & Inclusions
- Tuition and services: $12,480
- Housing (on/off campus): $3,980 – $8,490
- Full tuition
- Guaranteed, pre-arranged, off-campus TEAN housing (UTS housing also an option in some cases)
- Overseas health insurance, plus evacuation and repatriation insurance
- Services of local Resident Directors
- Five-day Orientation Program with some meals, excursions, accommodations and transportation
- Cultural events scheduled throughout the semester
- Wireless internet access in all housing
- Access to pre-arranged and affordable cell phone packages
- Access to unique and exciting optional pre-semester and Spring Break trips, which may include New Zealand, the Great Barrier Reef, Thailand and other places
- Access to competitive airfares and pre-arranged group flights
- Extensive pre-departure counseling and information packets
- University and course selection advice
- Official academic transcripts from host institution
- Credit approval and transfer assistance
- Help with student visa preparation
- Financial aid transfer planning
- Airport pickup and reception in Sydney
- Arrival Welcome packet containing important local contact details and information
- Sydney Farewell Dinner at conclusion of program
- Host university orientation
What’s Not Included
- International airfare ($1,800)
- Domestic airfare in US ($500)
- Student visa ($525)
- Books ($365)
- Meals during the semester ($2,000)
- Airport transfer at the end of the semester ($50)
*Numbers are estimated based on previous student experience and budget. Actual amounts will vary depending on student.
In addition to the current financial aid you receive, you may want to consider one of our many scholarships. Each year we award thousands of scholarship dollars to qualified program participants. Refer to our Scholarships information for details.
We Love UTS
Senior Program Manager
Paramount Coffee Project has the best coffee in Surry Hills. There are so many amazing options in the neighbourhood, it’s a pretty tough call to make – but I’m sticking with it.
Resident Director - Sydney
In Australia, pubs are where you find the best food deals. Forresters in Surry Hills has cheap lunch specials. All throughout Sydney you will find special food deals at pubs depending on the day and time. Go explore!
From the Blog
No one said a word. The five of us stood there with our hands on our … Read more
Deciding on which school to study at during my study abroad was simple. I knew … Read more