Have you dreamt of studying your undergraduate or graduate degree at a university in Australia or New Zealand but don’t know where to start? Navigating a different educational and admissions system can be difficult but The Education Abroad Network (TEAN)’s experienced staff can assist you through the whole process. And this service is free for you! TEAN is an official representative of six of the eight universities in New Zealand and 20 of the 43 universities in Australia. With these connections, and our Program Managers who have worked in higher education within the region for more than ten years, we can help you quickly find the right Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD program in Australia or New Zealand that fits your needs, and assist you through the application process.


Graduate Degree Structure

Graduate Degree Structure

Graduate Diploma or Postgraduate Certification

The Graduate Diploma is usually an intensive, one-semester to one-year course available for students that have already earned a Bachelor’s Degree. The graduate diploma has no US equivalent, but can be used to meet pre-requisites for a graduate degree. This degree can also lead to a professional certification in certain fields. The Graduate Diploma offers an excellent opportunity for students looking for a short-term, international experience with a resulting qualification.

Master’s Degree

The Master’s Degree is similar in structure to the US but can take 1 – 2.5 years to complete. There are three types of Master’s Degrees offered by our partner universities, the Master’s by coursework, the Master’s by research, and the Master’s by coursework and research. The Master’s by coursework is a degree that requires the student to attend classes and complete assignments and projects. Students are assessed by written examination and assignments. The Master’s by research consists of a research project and written thesis. There is no coursework involved. The Master’s by coursework and research consists of one year of coursework and a research project related to your area of interest.


The Ph.D. is a 3 – 5 year program of self-directed research that culminates in a major dissertation. A sound research topic and short thesis are required as part of the admissions application.

Degree Recognition

Degree Recognition

While you may or may not be familiar with the university to which you are applying, TEAN’s partner universities are highly recognized institutions known the world over for academic excellence and leading research. Four of the Australian universities are ranked in the top 50 universities in the world based on the QS World University Rankings. Your degree from an Australian or New Zealand university will be recognized by both employers and universities worldwide. In fact, the majority of our university partners have received approval from the U.S. Department of Education to participate in the Federal Financial Aid program.

Most graduate degree level programs are recognised in the U.S. and internationally.

Bachelor level programs in Australia and New Zealand are structured slightly differently to the U.S., and follow the British model of higher education, with a three year Bachelor degree. Students enter their major area of study from he start of their degree and there is no general education component, and few electives. This means you graduate one year earlier than your U.S. friends, which is an advantage, but we encourage you to research how to transfer this to the U.S. when/if considering graduate school in the U.S. Some graduate schools may require you to have completed an entire four year program. Contact graduate schools to discuss or external organisations such as www.wes.org that can offer advice.

For some fields of study there is an accrediting body connected and you will need to have your qualification assessed as comparable to U.S qualifications to be eligible to work in that field. For example: Education; Law; Nursing: Medicine; Dentistry; Psychology etc. These kinds of professions may require you to take further studies or even exams, when you return to the U.S, to ensure your degree is comparable to the U.S equivalent and recognised in the state you want to work. We encourage you to research how to transfer a degree of this kind back to the U.S prior to applying.

Selecting Your Program

Selecting Your Program

TEAN’s Full Degree Program Manager has more than ten years of experience working with universities in the region, and can advise you on relevant schools for the your academic area of interest. Feel free to contact us for assistance selecting the graduate degree program that is right for you.

Financial Aid & Costs

Financial Aid

While tuition fees tend to be lower in Australia and New Zealand compared with U.S. out of state fees and private colleges, you may still require financial assistance in order to complete your degree program. While TEAN cannot process and distribute financial aid, we can assist and advise you about the procedures for applying and sources of funding available.

U.S. Financial Aid / Federal loan program

Most Australian and New Zealand schools are accredited by the U.S. Department of Education to administer the US Direct Loan Program (US Financial Aid/ Federal Loan Program) to U.S. citizens.  This means if you are enrolled in a full time Bachelor, Master or PHD program – you can take out U.S. loans to cover some or all of the costs.  Contact us for more information on which schools participate and how much you can borrow.  The amount you can borrow will vary as Bachelor level students typically are only eligible for minimal amounts unless you are a dependent. And Graduate level students may be eligible to borrow the entire cost of attendance. You may also be eligible for a Stafford Loan for your degree program along with the repayment and deferment schemes it includes. 

To apply for U.S. Federal Financial Aid you will need to complete a FAFSA, Free Application for Federal Student Aid, available from the U.S. government beginning in November of the previous year for which it is applicable. Your FAFSA is due on or before March 15. TEAN cannot process the FAFSA, but we can guide you through this sometimes confusing process.

degree Costs

Have you considered how to fund a degree in Australia or New Zealand? The cost of tuition and living can be a substantial investment.  Schools in Australia typically have limited/minimal scholarship offerings so this should not be relied upon to assist with the costs.  Financial aid is also not awarded by individual schools, like in the U.S, so you can expect to pay between $22,000 – $40,000AUD per year for tuition alone.  Living costs are approximately $20,000AUD per year.  It’s therefore important you research how you will fund your education and living expenses. As a guide – if you meet published “entry requirements” you are highly likely to be accepted (this is dependent on the program you apply for) and you are then expected to pay the full tuition for the first year.

Admission Requirements

Admissions Requirements

While TEAN can offer advice and assistance with the application process, we cannot approve an application for admission. Admissions decisions are made solely by the overseas university. Below is a list of general guidelines and admissions requirements for our Australian and New Zealand partner universities.

Undergraduate Degree Admission Requirements

  • In addition to providing your official academic transcripts from high school, you are typically also required to provide SAT or ACT scores.
  • The minimum GPA requirement is a 2.5, however many universities have higher requirements.
  • If you are currently an undergraduate student in the US and are hoping to transfer to an overseas university to complete your degree, you may not need SAT or ACT scores to gain admission. If you have completed 30 or more credit hours at an undergraduate level, this may be sufficient for entry. If you have not completed 30 credits, you will most likely need to submit your high school transcripts and SAT or ACT scores. You should also submit syllabi of all previous university coursework and all college transcripts.
  • If you have an Associates Degree, SAT/ACT scores may not be required for entry into a Bachelor’s degree.

Graduate Degree Admission Requirements

  • Official academic transcript from your Bachelor’s degree, and any other completed higher education.
  • The minimum GPA requirement is a 2.5, however many universities have higher requirements.
  • Some programs require CVs and additional statements, and some require academic references.

Contact Us for further information on admission requirements.

How to Apply & Academic Calendar

How to Apply

  • Contact the Full Degree Program Manager for the specific process for your selected program/s.
  • Some universities we work with waive the application fee if you apply through TEAN (plus there are no fees for our services)
  • We encourage you to apply no later than 4 months prior to the start of the program.  Ideally 6 to 18 months in advance. The university deadlines are usually three months prior to the start date, but we advise you start the process much earlier. Most have “rolling admissions” meaning you can apply at any time.
  • Some programs application are only open at set times (eg. medicine, Physiotherapy). Ask us for deadlines for your selected program/s.
  • TEAN’s Full Degree Program Manager will provide you with all you need to apply for your chosen program, and will submit the application on your behalf.
  • TEAN only requires one set of official transcripts, to be sent to our U.S. office, as we can certify them and use them for multiple applications. Further saving you money. We can assist you to apply to as many schools in Australia and New Zealand as you like – and only need one set of transcripts.
  • You should expect a response from the university within three to 12 weeks. Since TEAN’s Program Manager is based in Australia, in the same time zone as the schools, she will follow up on your behalf with the universities.

Academic Calendar

The Australian and New Zealand academic year for most universities runs from February to November, with the first semester held from February to June and the second semester held from July to November. Intakes occur in February or July each year. February is the main intake and preferred commencement date when planning your studies.  Not all programs commence in July.  Medicine, Law and Vet Science are all programs that only commence in February.

Some universities also have intakes in January, May and September, and some programs (eg. MBA) at some universities have multiple entry points.


Frequently Asked Questions

What are the popular degree programs? 

We receive enquiries for all different programs, and Australia and New Zealand have a plethora of options to suit your future career goals.  The most requested areas of study that we find are in Law; Medicine; Nursing; Engineering; Occupational Therapy; Speech Therapy; Science; Vet Science; Communications; Business; MBA; Teaching; Arts and Public Health.

The application asks for a copy of my passport, but mine is expired/I do not have it yet, Do I need to wait until my new passport arrives to submit my application?

No, go ahead and submit your application to TEAN. The overseas university can still evaluate your application and grant you a conditional acceptance until you can send a copy of your passport.

How long will it take to hear if I am accepted to the overseas university?

Allow 6 – 8 weeks for the university to process your application and make an admissions decision.

Who will notify me if I am accepted?

In some cases the university will contact you directly. Other times TEAN will notify you. Either way, you will receive notification as soon as a decision has been reached.

Can I submit photocopies of my transcript with my application?

No. Only official transcripts will be accepted at overseas universities. Please request an official transcript from the Office of the Registrar at each of the colleges or universities you have attended. You will need to submit at least one transcript per application.

I’ve already taken college courses in the U.S. Will my credits be accepted at an overseas university?

This is up to the discretion of the overseas university to which you are applying. TEAN cannot make a determination or evaluation of previous coursework. If the overseas university grants you admission into a full degree program, your acceptance will indicate which courses will and will not transfer.

When do I begin applying for accommodation?

Once you have been accepted. At this point, the overseas university will send you information about your accommodation options. TEAN is able to provide assistance and advice regarding housing.

Contact Us

Contact Us

You can contact our Full Degree Program Manager by completing this form. Please provide as much detail as possible when submitting the form so we can best assist you.

Contact Us 

From the Blog