We have outlined here TEAN’s six easy steps to studying abroad. Your TEAN Program Manager guides you through the entire process, reminding you when and what we need from you as you traverse along the journey to studying abroad. These six steps also include all the vital information you need to know as you prepare for your time abroad. If you can’t find the answers to your questions here, then don’t hesitate to call or email us.

Get Started



Congratulations! You have applied to a TEAN Korea semester or summer program, so you are already one step toward the best experiences of your college life! This section walks you through how to complete your application including paying your deposit, how to obtain a passport and check that yours will be valid for the duration you need, the best ways to contact TEAN, and all the important dates to mark down on your calendar now. As usual, if your questions are not answered here, don’t hesitate to contact us! Step 1: Get Started explained in 60 seconds.

TEAN Application


1. If you haven’t already started your application with TEAN, you will need to visit the apply now page to start the process. You will be asked to pay a $95 application deposit that is counted toward your total program fees.

2. Once you’ve submitted your application and paid the application deposit, our team will review your application.

3. After your application has been approved by TEAN you will receive an email from us with information on how to login to your account and access your application.

4. Now you can start to work on the checklist items listed for your application. You will see a list of things that need to be completed which including the following:

  • TEAN Applicant Profile
  • Personal Statement
  • Copy of Your Passport – see the step-by-step instructions below (let us know if you’re renewing)  
  • Send the TEAN Statement from University electronically to your advisor at your home institution for completion
  • Emergency Contact Info 
  • Medical Information
  • Academic Reference (semester only)

As we move through the application process more forms and items will be added to your checklist by your Program Manager. So continue to check back for updates.

5. Submit your most recent transcripts

In order for us to fully accept you into the program, we will need to review your official transcripts. For students studying in the Spring semester, we will need transcripts including grades from the previous Spring semester. For Fall and Summer students, we require transcripts including grades from the previous Fall semester.

Please request an official copy of your transcripts, from all universities attended, be sent to our offices at:

2405 N Sheffield Ave #14522
Chicago, IL 60614

Program Deposit

Pay your Program Deposit

  • Upon acceptance into the program you will be issued with a $500 program deposit invoice. TEAN cannot make any accommodations or on-site reservations on behalf of a student until the $500 program deposit is received.
  • The program deposit is applied to the total program cost and is not an additional fee.
  • You may submit online credit card payments for your $500 program deposit via our online credit card link.
Withdrawing from the program

If you withdraw from the program the $95 application deposit is non-refundable. If you withdraw before the withdrawal deadline, the $500 program deposit is refundable. However, after the deadline (typically 3-4 months before departure) this deposit is non-refundable. Please refer to the program deposit invoice for the specific refund date for your program.



Obtaining a passport for international travel may take a considerable period of time as the State Department can often have a backlog of applications to work through. Therefore, it is crucial that you apply for your passport as early as possible to avoid any last minute complications. You can apply for your passport at your local U.S. Post Office.

You can obtain necessary information regarding passports from the U.S. Department of State: Passport Services Department,   download passport applications, find a nationwide list of passport agencies, etc. here.


As a condition of your student visa, your passport must be valid a minimum of six months after your anticipated return home. If your current passport is set to expire before then, you will need to apply for a renewal.


  1. Scan a copy of your passport page with your photo and information on it.
  2. Upload the scanned image to your TEAN application where it states, “Please upload a copy/photo of your passport (signature and picture page only).” Alternatively, email the scanned copy of your passport to your TEAN Program Manager.
  3. Enter your passport information under the section titled, “TEAN Applicant Profile.

Contacting TEAN

Contacting TEAN

Email is the primary form of communication during the application and enrollment period. Please provide us with an email address you use regularly, as important program announcements and instructions will be sent via email. Also, please check your email on a regular basis and make sure to update your online application if you change your email address. Please also periodically check your junk mail to ensure that messages from TEAN are not begin filtered into “spam”. If they are, please add the TEAN email to your contacts. 

In addition, please be sure to include your full name on all correspondence (including emails). We work with many students so providing your full name will ensure timely responses to questions and inquiries.

Physical Address

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN)
505 N. LaSalle, Suite 200
Chicago, IL 60654-7093

Telephone and Fax

Toll Free: 1-800-585-9658 (from within U.S.)
Local Number: 1-312-239-3710 (from outside of U.S.)
Fax: 1-312-239-3713

Office Hours

TEAN is open Monday – Thursday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, and Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm Central Standard Time and observes all major holidays. If these hours are not convenient, you may schedule a time outside of our normal business hours to speak with us. If you are currently living outside of the U.S., it is possible to set up a time to Skype and get to know your Program Managers.

Important Dates

Important Dates

We finalize our program calendar several months before each semester abroad. During that time, we work with our overseas partner universities in order to determine our orientation schedule. We will provide updated information pertaining to orientation, key semester dates, flights and excursions once our program calendar has been finalized. We will send you an email notification once the updated calendar information has been posted on the website so you can plan accordingly.

Once the program calendar has been finalized, we will post this information on our website and you’ll be notified by your Program Manager. Once the calendar has been released, all dates are still subject to change. While we do not anticipate any date changes once the calendar has been finalized, we reserve the right to make changes, particularly if one of our partner universities institutes their own date modification. All program participants will be contacted in the event of a date change.

Program Start Dates

The program officially begins at the start of our Orientation Program in Seoul, Korea. Students arriving in advance of our orientation will be responsible for their own transportation from the airport and any necessary accommodations prior to the orientation start date.


Most airlines do not allow open-ended tickets and now require international passengers to select a return date at the time of booking their flight. Return dates can be changed, subject to availability, but program participants should initially book a return flight home no earlier than one day after their university exams are scheduled to finish. After receiving their final exam schedule, participants can change their return to an earlier date, if their schedule permits. However, participants should not rely on professors allowing exams to be taken prior to the official exam date, as professors are under no obligation to accommodate such requests. For example, if the student’s last exam is December 17th, they should not rely on rescheduling it so they can return home early.

Housing Dates

We provide housing until one day after the final day of university exams. Study abroad students generally finish their exams before the last scheduled exam date so students should have plenty of time to prepare for their departure. Please also pay particular attention to the housing move-in dates. We are unable to make exceptions for early move-in requests due to the complexity of housing logistics.

Program Dates

Diversity & Identity

Diversity and Identity

One of our main goals at TEAN is to make sure all of our students are thoroughly supported from day one of the study abroad process. Embracing diversity in all its forms is very important to us. We’re dedicated to providing the most information and resources possible so students can make an informed decision on what program will best suit them, both academically and personally. We encourage all students to read through our Diversity and Identity page of our website to find resources useful for you directly and learn more about the students you will be studying abroad with.

Get Schooled



Congratulations again! If you’ve gotten this far you are well on your way to an experience of a lifetime! This section contains information on how to select your courses and ensure you get credit for them, financial aid and how to navigate the system to ensure your aid transfers, details of TEAN and other scholarships you may want to apply for, and some details on academic differences to expect in Korea. Step 2: Get Schooled explained in 60 seconds

Semester Academics

Program Model in South Korea

TEAN has established an integrated direct enrollment model with Korea University. By enrolling our students directly, we are able to give you access to a majority of the courses offered throughout the university’s academic departments. Forty percent of KU’s courses are taught in English, so TEAN students will get the opportunity to attend many of the same classes as local students who are looking to improve their English-language skills.

Please Note: Korea University does not typically release their course selection options until a couple weeks before you depart for the program. We are able to provide you with courses that have been offered during previous semesters so you can gain approval from your home institution in advance. Your program manager will work hard to distribute the course details as soon as it is released from the university. You will enroll in your courses about two weeks prior to the start of the semester.

Contact Hours

All students are required to undertake a minimum of 12 credits per semester. Most courses are 3 credits and meet for three hours per week. As the semester is 15 weeks in length, courses are typically 45 contact hours total for the term. Final credit allotment is at the discretion of each student’s home university and is typically based off of the total number of contact hours for each course.

selecting your courses

1. The course list for the upcoming term hasn’t been released yet (fall course lists won’t be available until late July and spring course lists won’t be available until late January). However, course offerings typically don’t change dramatically from year to year. We recommend looking at courses offered for your correct term (for the year prior) to find available classes.

You can click on the following links to review the list of English taught courses from the Fall 2019 semester and the Spring 2020 semester.  Please be sure you are looking at the correct term because course offerings between the fall and spring do vary. After reviewing your list, identify at least 8 courses that are of interest to you.

2. Once you have made your course selections, submit them online in your TEAN online application. Please be sure to include the KU College and Department in the comments.


Course University: Korea University
Course Code: POLI431
Course Period of Study: Fall or Spring Semester that you are attending
Course Credit Points: 3
Course Comments: College of Political Science & Economics/Department of Political Science & Int’l Relations

3. Arrange for a meeting with your academic advisor in order to have these courses approved for credit transfer at your home university.

Course Syllabi

Most course syllabi can be found on the Korea University website.

  • Close out of the pop-up box that will appear
  • In the white box titled ‘Course Registration’, select the ‘English’ box.
  • Scroll down and click ‘Search course more +’
  • In the Year and Season boxes, enter the term one full year prior to your program.
  • Campus – Seoul
  • College Section – College
  • Classification – Look at the English-taught Course List PDF (linked above). If the Type column says “Major”, then the you will put Major, the College, and the Department in the boxes. If the Type column says “Elective”, then you will put General Studies in the first box. For the second box, many English-taught courses are under Major-related Elective, with some exceptions.
  • The Korean language courses are found in General Studies – Electives. The course codes are IFLS108 (Beginner’s Korean I), IFLS109 (Beginner’s Korean II), IFLS110 (Intermediate Korean I), IFLS111 (Intermediate Korean II), and IFLS112 (Advanced Korean I).
  • All courses taught in English will have “(English)” at the end of the Course Name.
  • Only courses with a check mark in the “3)X” column are open to visiting students.
  • When you click on the Course Code, the course information will pop up. If a syllabus is available, it will be attached near the bottom of the page.

Special Notes on courses

Competitive Classes

Business, Media, and International Studies courses (course codes beginning with BUSS, JMCO, and DISS) at Korea University are extremely competitive and space is often limited. These courses often fill up very quickly during registration. If you are expecting to take courses in these subjects at KU, please be sure to have a few options that you can choose from, and alternative courses in case you are placed on a waiting list or denied entry due to class size.

Courses that are not available

Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Law, Teacher Education, Division of Information Security, and Art & Design courses are not open to study abroad students.

Korean Language Classes

Korean language courses are offered each semester in five levels, from beginner to advanced. Anyone planning to take a Korean course above the first level will take a placement test at KU orientation to ensure you are placed into the correct level.

Beginner’s Korean 1 (IFLS108) is designed to give students basic knowledge of simple everyday Korean, listening and correct pronunciation practice, the Korean alphabet and fundamental sentence structure.

Beginner’s Korean II (IFLS109) provides students with more expressions in Korean, listening and correct pronunciation practice, reviewing and building upon basic grammar, and beginner composition.

Intermediate Korean I (IFLS110) focuses on conversation, constructing Korean sentences, expanding vocabulary, and broadening students’ understanding of Korean life and culture.

Intermediate Korean II (IFLS111) aims to expand on vocabulary and expressions necessary for business dealings, understanding the culture more in depth, and improving reading, writing, and listening skills.

Advanced Korean I (IFLS112) provides students with knowledge and discussions of social issues, enhances ability to effectively communicate with idiomatic expressions, and gives tools to research and present on advanced topics.

Choose Earth

At TEAN, “Choose Earth” encompasses not only environmental sustainability but also social justice and cross-cultural awareness. KU offers a range of courses that will expose you to global issues, solutions and understanding. If you would like to participate in our Choose Earth Certificate program, consider one of the subjects below to complete the course requirement.

ACEE226: Environmental Engineering I
LESE203: Natural Resource Economics
LIET201: Ecology
LIET227: Environmental Science
LIET237: Environmental Information and Planning
PAPP357: Environmental Policy
POLI385: Political Economy of Environmental Cooperation

Course Registration

Students will complete an online course registration process prior to arriving on campus, which allows students to register into classes at the same time as local Korean students. This will be one of the most important steps you will encounter throughout this entire process.

Korea University also has a very strict add/drop period, which occurs once students arrive on campus during the second week of classes. When it comes time to register, you will choose from the list of 8+ classes you have been approved for at your home university. If you choose to register for courses that have not been pre-approved by your home university, it is your responsibility to communicate with your university to gain the necessary approval.

More information about course registration will be made available closer to your departure for Seoul.

Summer Academics

Courses and Credits

Korea University’s International Summer Campus is the largest summer school in Asia and welcomes students from all over the world. Courses are taught by international faculty members from renowned universities and cover eight disciplines: Business/Economics, Humanities, Sociology/Cultural Studies, Fine Art/Design, Science, Law/Politics/International Relations, Korea/East Asian Studies and Korean Language.   

Contact Hours

Students attending the International Summer Campus are able to select between a four or six-week program. The most popular program is the six-week and you have a choice to take between one, two, or three courses. For the four-week program, you can select either one or two courses. Each course is typically three credits and usually meet four times a week.

Course Listings

Your Program Manager will notify you when the course list for your term is available.

Click here to view the course list for Summer 2020.

Course Approvals

Schedule Meeting with Academic Advisor

It is highly recommended that you have your academic advisor approve your classes before leaving if you wish to ensure you receive transfer credit. If you do not wish to receive any credit when you return home you may be able to forego the approval process. Some students negotiate the credit transfer issues when they return from their program, but at the very minimum you should at least meet with your academic advisor/dean before departure so they are fully aware you will be studying abroad. They will be able to help you select courses that will count toward your major and that will be easily transferable for credit when you return. 

Schedule Meeting with Study Abroad Office

Contact your study abroad office at your home university to discuss study abroad credit approval and other specific procedures to be completed for your program overseas. This is an important step as it may reveal crucial steps towards avoiding complications and making your transition abroad seamless. In addition, your study abroad advisor will need to sign our “Statement from University” form. You can send this to them from your online application.

Financial Aid

Schedule Meeting with Financial Aid Advisor

While we strive to keep our programs affordable, we recognize that many students need financial help. The good news is that most financial aid you may be currently receiving is applicable toward study abroad. Generally, you can transfer federal financial aid, such as Pell Grants and Stafford Loans, that do not need to be repaid until after graduation.

See the Higher Education Act of 1965 (Public Law 102-325, 106 Stat.448): The act was reauthorized in the summer of 1992 to include a number of provisions to facilitate the use of federal financial aid for study abroad. (NAFSA:  Association of International Educators Newsletter, Volume 44, No 3/Dec-Jan 1993).

The U.S. Department of Education advised that the Perkins Loans, SSIG Grant Program, Pell Grants, FSEOG Grants, Stafford Loans, SLS loans, PLUS Loans and Consolidation loans can now be used for study abroad. Your study abroad experience does not have to be compulsory for your degree program in order to apply your aid. Please contact your home institution financial aid office to discuss your financial aid options for study abroad.

Consortium Agreements

If you are currently receiving financial aid (federal loans, grants, scholarships, etc.) from your home institution please follow these steps. The financial aid you currently receive may not be processed in the same manner and the same amounts may not be awarded to you.

Step 1:  Visit your home university’s financial aid office and inform them you will be studying abroad through TEAN. Ask them how much of your current aid will transfer for a study abroad experience. You will also need to check if there is additional paperwork specific to your home university.

Step 2:  Ask your financial aid office if they have a “consortium agreement” (do not worry if this is a foreign term to you, they will know what it is!) which essentially means they will complete all paperwork regarding your existing financial aid while you are studying abroad. This is the ideal arrangement as it makes the whole process easier for everyone. You will also need to have a TEAN Financial Aid Agreement form filled out that will be provided to you by your Program Manager.

Step 3:  If they have a consortium agreement, most likely they will have an existing agreement that is university specific. TEAN will likely have to sign this for you and send it back to them. It will not go to your overseas institution. The TEAN Financial Aid Agreement form should then be faxed or emailed to us.

Unfortunately, not all universities will sign a consortium agreement. If this applies to your school please consult us immediately for further guidance.

Please note: The financial aid process is very complex and adequate planning is necessary. You should contact your home institution’s financial aid office if you will, or think you may need to, apply loans or aid to your study abroad program. TEAN is not a lending institution so unfortunately, all financial aid and loan discussions will need to be made within your home university’s financial aid office.



In addition to the current financial aid you receive, you may want to consider one of our many scholarships. TEAN awards thousands of dollars each year in scholarships to qualified students. Awards range from $500 – $3,000, and we have categories including need-based and merit-based scholarships. In addition, there are are scholarship opportunities available through external organizations. Review details of study abroad scholarships.

For summer applicants, if you apply for our TEAN Scholarships you will also be considered for our TEAN Summer in Seoul scholarships provided by Korea University. There is one $2,000 Merit-Based scholarship and one $1,400 Need-Based scholarship available.

Get a Room



In Seoul, our main housing option is located on-campus at Korea University. The university is located in an upbeat area with trendy student cafes and delicious restaurants all a hop, skip and a jump from your front door.  More information can be found in the tabs below. Step 3: Get a Room explained in 60 seconds.

On-Campus Housing

On-Campus Housing

Students will be housed in the international student accommodation and will rank their room preference for a single or double room. Double rooms are the most popular choice and the cost of the double room is included in your program fee. If you select a single room and are allocated one, you will be charged a single room supplement.

You will be assigned to live in either CJ International House or Anam International House. The layout for the buildings are a bit different, but they are similar. Korea University is in charge of allocating housing assignments, so TEAN is not able to guarantee a type of housing or a roommate request, but we will make sure KU is aware of your preferences. You cannot request a specific dorm building.

Depending on where you are placed, some double rooms have their own bathroom ensuite. However, most rooms are set up to have three rooms sharing a bathroom and a common living space. So if you have a single room you will still likely share a bathroom with four other students. Please note that dorm rooms and suites vary in size and layout, and you may not know the exact layout of your suite until you move in. Kitchens, laundry rooms, and lounge spaces are available in each of the dorms.

Korea University Dorm Room

Meal Plans

When you check into your accommodation you will have the option to purchase a meal plan for the dining halls on-campus. The costs per meals for students on the meal plan can vary from about $4-5/meal depending on the package you select. Students are also able to cook their own meals in the accommodation kitchen if they prefer.


When you check into your accommodation, you will be issued a basic linen set including a fitted sheet/mattress cover, a pillow, pillowcase, and blanket. Some students do like to bring their own extra set with them for added comfort.


Utility fees like electricity and water are all included in your housing costs. Wireless internet is also included in the accommodation, internet speeds in Korea are at times slower than what you are used to, so it is important to manage your expectations.


Accessible options vary greatly, please consult your program manager or our diversity and inclusion coordinator, Nick Falzone ( directly for additional information.


Voltage and Plugs

The United States uses 110-volt electricity, whereas most countries outside North America use 220-volt electricity. You may need to use a converter or a transformer to change the 220-volt electricity into 110-volt electricity in order to use a 110-volt device overseas. However, most newer electronics convert voltage automatically. Check your model to be sure.

Plugs on your devices will require an adapter in order for them to be used. Electrical outlets in Korea have power sockets that are type C/F, similar to most European countries. You can find outlet adapters cheaply online (on Amazon for example). If you are planning to use multiple adapters you may want to wait until you arrive in Korea to buy more than one or two so you can ensure they work properly.

The Hair Dryer/Hair Straightener Conundrum

We recommend leaving your hairdryer or hair straightener at home and purchasing a cheap model once you arrive in country. In some cases, it may be cheaper and significantly more convenient to simply purchase low-cost yet essential electronic devices once abroad. For examples, hair dryers often take up much needed packing space and are inexpensive abroad, so purchasing a plug adaptor and converter might not be cost effective. Use discretion when making these decisions to determine what’s best for you.

Doing it Yourself

Doing it yourself

When it comes housing, some students wish to opt out of our guaranteed on-campus accommodations.  If this is the case, you will be given a credit on account for the cost of housing.  If you are thinking about opting out of housing, you must notify your Program Manager at the time you apply for the program.  

However, please be aware if you organize your own housing you may luck into a good housing situation, but you should also prepare to run into some challenges and hassles that may complicate your stay due to cultural and language differences and we will be unable assist you in these matters.  You may find that:

  • There is no one to serve as liaison with your landlord or roommates should a dispute arise.
  • You would be responsible for a large down payment (key money)
  • You are locked into a 6-12 month lease.
  • Many landlords and real estate agents are not willing to deal directly with students.
  • Set-up and payment of utilities can be a real hassle and sometimes not possible for international students.
  • Many units come unfurnished, meaning you must rent furniture (a costly option).

Get Booked



It’s time to book your flights. It’s really happening, so get excited! This section details information regarding steps to booking flights for Korea and important tips before you book. Step 4: Get Booked explained in 60 seconds.



The best route (and airfare) for flights to Seoul or Busan will depend on your departure point in the U.S. Please read the below Steps for Booking Flights, Important Flight Booking Notes and FAQs in full before booking your flights.

Important: Do NOT book your flights until you have received instructions to do so by email from TEAN.

Steps for Booking

Step 1: Read the instructions carefully and be sure to contact us with any questions, so as to ensure you understand the airfare booking procedures.

Step 2: Review the arrival dates and end of program dates.  Students should book flights departing on or after the program end date. Note that if you depart after the program end date you may not be able to stay in the housing TEAN has organized for you beyond the end date. You will be instructed to arrive by a designated time in order to be transferred to the quarantine accommodations. 

Semester Programs
Summer & Winter Programs

Step 3: Determine if you are intending to travel independently prior to or after the program dates as this will impact your travel dates to/from the U.S.

Step 4: Research travel itineraries and costs. To assist with your search, ensure you read the below “Important Booking Notes”.

Before purchasing your ticket, please feel free to contact us or send us your tentative itinerary so that we may ensure it is correct and/or the best routing for your situation.

Step 5:  Book your international travel and complete the TEAN Arrival form in your application checklist.

Important Booking Notes

  • TEAN recommends shopping around to find the best routing and airfare from your departing location.
  • Check out our partner travel agency, Flight Centre.  The key benefit to using a travel agent like Flight Centre is the personalized service, particularly useful if flights are delayed, connections are missed, or if you have to change your flight for any reason.  You can email at Flight Centre or call them +1 303 802 8507.  Their hours are: Monday-Friday: 8:00am – 6:00pm MT.
  • If you would like to compare airfares, please feel free to research flights online. We recommend search tools such as SkyScanner or Google Flights
  • Accommodation will be provided for students arriving on the arrival date, but accommodation will not be available prior to this date.
  • Be careful when looking at arrival dates/times. For example, a flight may arrive at 12:05 am on the arrival date, however, technically, this is the evening of the previous night as far as hotels are concerned. If you book a flight like this, you are going to need an extra night of accommodation.
  • Airfare costs can vary greatly from one departure city to another. In the event that you live relatively close to more than one potential departure city, we encourage you to research flight options through each applicable departure location. Students may find that by driving to a slightly farther departure city/airport, they may save several hundred dollars in airfare costs.
  • In order to complete your application for your Korean visa, you must provide a copy of your air ticket or an air itinerary with proof that it has been paid in full. You will be sent instructions regarding your student visa shortly.

Flight FAQs

Flight FAQs

How much should I expect the airfare to be?

The estimated cost for all international flights varies from approximately $800 – $1,500. This is due in large part to the departure locations from within the U.S. (for example: New York, NY versus Omaha, NE), as well as the return travel dates.

Why doesn’t TEAN offer a group flight for Korea?

Airfares for individual flights to this region are cheaper than group flights, and for this reason we provide advice on booking your flights individually.

What if I want to arrive prior to the recommended arrival date?

We don’t recommend arriving early due to current rules around the required quarantine. If you do arrive early, accommodation and any other costs will be at your own expense.

Offset Your Carbon Footprint

How to Offset your Carbon Footprint

Team up with TEAN to reduce your carbon footprint by offsetting your carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from air travel!

What is carbon offsetting?
Carbon offsetting is the action or process of compensating for carbon dioxide emissions produced from industrial or other human activity by participating in activities or programs designed to reduce the equivalent amounts of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

How do I calculate my carbon emissions?
Visit the free Carbon Footprint calculator page to access a user-friendly calculator that will guide you through the quick process of calculating your carbon.  We encourage you to utilize the emissions calculator to estimate how much carbon is entering the atmosphere from your flight overseas. Through TEAN activities or utilizing companies that Carbon Footprint Ltd is associated with, you will have plenty of ample opportunities to offset your carbon throughout your semester abroad and better understand the many ways in which you can make a positive environmental impact.  The Choose Earth Team at TEAN is always happy to assist you with your calculations, so please don’t hesitate to ask Kate McSurley at for help!

What can I do to offset my carbon emissions?
TEAN will suggest plenty of opportunities to Choose Earth while you are abroad that will help offset your carbon emissions from your international flight. Following their helpful tips and offsetting your flight is the best way to start reducing your overall carbon footprint while abroad.

If you would like to do more – and we hope that you do! We encourage you to donate the monetary amount estimated by the calculator through Carbon Footprint Ltd.'s partnerships with multiple certified eco-friendly companies. That way, you can directly contribute to programs that help offset the carbon emitted from your flights, helping to make a global impact. Contributions from climate conscious consumers assist in developing projects that promote clean technology. The beauty of this particular program is that you can choose from a variety of charitable causes that are personal to you, as opposed to a single monetary donation to an airline where you may not beg sure if your money is going exactly where you intend it to. Through Carbon Footprint Ltd, you have the power to choose when and how your carbon emissions are offset.

Get Documents



This section is very important. It also tends to be a little boring, so please stick with us. Before you jet off for the time of your life, there are contracts you need to sign, forms you need to complete, a Korean visa you need to apply for and be granted (for semester programs), and a final payment you need to make. Please read this section carefully, and when the time comes, your Program Managers will guide you through it all – step by step. Step 5: Get Documents explained in 60 seconds.


Sign Contracts with TEAN

You will receive contracts from TEAN that will cover important information and policies for you to keep in mind during your time abroad. By signing the program contract this will also allow us to introduce you to other TEAN program participants prior to departure. Both you and a parent/guardian will need to electronically sign the document to confirm your understanding of the terms and conditions of your program.

Korea University Housing Contract

While checking into your on-campus accommodation for the semester, you will be asked to sign a housing contract stating you fully understand and will abide by the dormitory’s rules. These rules must be followed and TEAN will send you a copy of the rules prior to your departure.



You should apply for your passport as soon as possible once you apply for your study abroad experience in Korea, as this process can take approximately 4-8 weeks and will be required for your student visa application as well.

Your passport should be valid for at least six months after the conclusion of your semester to satisfy Korea’s entry requirements. All countries have different requirements for passport validity so be sure to check details for any other countries you plan to visit before your final return home.

Student Visa

Student Visa

Semester: All students will be required to apply for a D2 student visa to study abroad in South Korea. Your Program Manager will supply you with specific, step-by-step instructions when you are eligible to apply, but it is important to understand the process and what you can expect.

Summer or Winter Term:  Non-U.S. passport holders will need to apply for a D2 visa and can follow the step-by-step instructions sent by your program manager when your KU documents are ready.

Visa Cost

The D2 Korean student visa costs vary depending on if you choose to apply directly with your local South Korean Consulate, or if you choose to apply with our recommended visa processing service, Swift Passport Services, located in Chicago. The cost for a visa can range for U.S. citizens from $45 – $140 USD.

Proof of financial support

Students are required to show a bank statement with a balance of at least $3,000 USD (approximately $1,000 per month abroad) in order to obtain a visa. In the past, students have been able to use a bank statement from an account that has a parent’s name, however, the parent will need to provide a signed statement that the student will have access to the funds. This statement should be submitted along with the student’s visa application.

Visa Application

All students will be required to submit a completed Korean visa application form when applying for a visa. You will not be able to apply for your visa more than two months before you depart for Korea. Your Program Managers will notify you when you are eligible to apply for your student visa, which is typically 10 weeks prior to your departure. You will also receive step-by-step instructions on the process.    

Certificate of Admission

To apply for a visa, you will be required to submit an official Certificate of Admission with your visa application. This document and very specific instructions will be provided approximately six-weeks prior to departure and is from Korea University. We will also provide you with a Certificate of Business Registration as well.  If the consulate in your jurisdiction require transcripts, we can send the transcripts you have already provided to TEAN back to you upon request.

Passport-Style Photo

Students will be required to send in one passport-style photo with their application.  

Processing Time
South Korean visa applications that are mailed into a U.S. Consulate office typically receive their visa in three weeks. Students who use Swift Passport Services, typically receive their visa in two weeks.

Final Payment

Final Payment

Final invoices will be sent out approximately 60 days prior to your departure. Financial Aid Agreements must be submitted by this time as well to account for any delay in payment. If you are relying heavily on Financial Aid funds, please note that we will require a minimum of $4,000 to be applied to your account prior to your departure.  

For check or money orders, you can make checks payable to The Education Abroad Network and mail to us at:

The Education Abroad Network
2405 N Sheffield Ave #14522
Chicago, IL 60614

For your convenience we accept credit card payments for the $500 program deposit and excursion deposits. We are unable to accept credit card payments on final program balances due to the high cost of credit card processing fees incurred on those transactions.


A $500 program deposit is due upon acceptance into your program. It will be credited to the student’s overall program fee.  The deposit is refundable, should the student withdraw 3–4 months prior to the start of the program. After this date, the deposit is non-refundable. The $95 application deposit is not refundable. Please refer to the welcome letter and deposit invoice for the specific refund date.

Refund policy 

Refunds Prior to Semester Commencement

If a student withdraws from the program prior to arrival overseas, we can only reimburse the portion of the program fee that has not already been allocated to some aspect of the students program (ex: housing, deposits, etc). Generally this will be less the $500 deposit (see above), but is subject to our program contract, though students are usually eligible to receive close to full refund amount. See your program contract for the withdrawal date for your program. Any withdrawals after this date will incur a $2,350 cancellation fee plus any additional costs that can’t be recovered.

Refunds During the Semester

In these situations, refunds are only available for the amount of the program fee that is recoverable at the time the student returns home. The amount recoverable relates to tuition and housing fees only and is dictated by the refund policy of each host university. Our official refund policy is outlined in the program contract provided to each participant.

Past Due accounts

All past-due amounts will accrue simple interest at 12% per annum.

Get Going



It’s almost time! Now you just need to review some last minute information on insurance while abroad, follow our packing list, start planning how you will manage your money while abroad, information on cell phones and read up on details regarding your arrival. Our Korea-based staff are looking forward to meeting you when you arrive! Step 6: Get Going explained in 60 seconds.

Pre-Departure Tips

Pre-Departure Quick Tips

Photocopy all important documents – Leave one set of photocopies with your parent/guardian and keep one set with you (on your person) as you travel. Important documents to copy include, but are not limited to: passport, airline tickets, medical insurance details and inoculation details.

Bring copies of important numbers/contact details – Details include, but are not limited to: emergency contact details (ie: parents/guardians), TEAN contact details (to be provided), arrival details (to be provided).

Exchange money in advance of your arrival into Korea – If possible, it is advisable to exchange some funds prior to your arrival into Korea. You can request Korean won from your local bank, but note this may take some time for them to order. Most international airports have currency exchange kiosks where you can exchange funds for a small fee. You may also choose to withdraw local currency at an ATM in the airport – just remember that your bank most likely charges an ATM fee for withdrawals! It is recommended that students have enough funds to get them from the airport to the accommodations (if necessary) and cover any initial expenses while in Korea – the equivalent of $200 is enough to get you started for the first two weeks.

Follow Arrival Instructions – Be sure to carry all airport arrival instructions, which will be sent to you prior to your departure by your Program Managers. This will be extremely helpful in the event you are unable to locate your guide at the airport.

Be Flexible – Students are encouraged to be flexible at all times. You will experience things that are done differently in Korea, than in the U.S. – embrace the differences and you will have an amazing time!

Bring a positive attitude and a willingness to experience new people and surroundings!


Health Insurance

TEAN requires that all international students possess health insurance coverage through CHUBB Travel Insurance for the duration of their studies in South Korea. Enrollment is automatic, and the cost of this insurance will be included in your program fee.

Your medical insurance policy includes the following:

  • Prescription medications
  • Medical evaluation
  • Hospitalization
  • X-rays
  • Emergency medical assistance
  • Medical transportation and evacuation
  • Return of mortal remains

There are limitations to this medical insurance, including dental and optical services. If you have any existing health concerns, contact your current insurance provider before you leave. You can find the policy brochure and claim form on our Living in Seoul page.

Please Note: If you are studying with TEAN in your country of citizenship, you will not be covered by our insurance policy.

Personal Articles Insurance

We recommend students put anything of value i.e., digital cameras, jewelry, musical instruments, cell phones, laptops, etc. on a Personal Articles Policy (many homeowners already have this policy so students most likely can add their items onto their parents’ Personal Article Policy). This insurance often covers the full value of the items worldwide, with no deductible. Typically, items valued up to $3,000 can be covered for an approximately $30 premium. We encourage students to take pictures of item(s) and note their model, make and serial number, as well as save receipts when possible. Purchase of this insurance is left to the discretion of the student and his/her parents.

Travel Insurance

Trip insurance is highly recommended and is NOT included in TEAN program fees. We recommend considering supplemental trip insurance to protect against unexpected mishaps (i.e. lost luggage) that can occur while traveling. Plans range from $100–$350 and can be purchased through various insurance carriers. If you would like to discuss plans with TEAN’s recommended travel liaison, please contact Flight Centre at 602-253-4743.

Health & Safety

Health & Safety

TEAN is committed to the health and safety of every participant. It is very important that students make informed decisions about their study and travel destinations. TEAN continually monitors the safety and security of our study abroad program locations as well as popular student travel destinations. We continue to advise students of the safety and health risks associated with studying and traveling abroad based on the information from the U.S. Department of State travel warnings, local law enforcement, the South Korean Government, NAFSA: Association of International Educators and the World Health Organization.

TEAN has created an Emergency Response Plan for our study abroad locations that will be implemented by both our staff in South Korea/the South Pacific and our U.S.-based staff in Chicago. TEAN staff will work with students, parents, and study abroad staff at both the student’s home and host institution to provide the most up-to-date information regarding situations that may arise while studying abroad.

Tips for Personal Safety

Emergency Contacts:  Be sure to designate a parent or guardian as your Emergency Contact. This way, information regarding an emergency situation will automatically be passed on to your parents. Also make sure to provide TEAN your Emergency Contact’s most up-to-date contact information.

Communication Information: Provide TEAN with accurate and up-to-date contact information regarding your telephone, mobile phone, address, and email address. Be sure to notify your parents and Resident Director in case of an emergency.

Keep Others Informed: Tell others (your roommates, your parents, your Resident Director) your travel plans. Keeping others informed will make it easier to locate you in case of an emergency.

Stay Informed: Research the political, cultural, and social climate of your study and travel abroad destination before heading overseas. While abroad, whenever possible, read local newspapers and watch local news broadcasts for developments that may affect your health and safety. If you have questions, please contact a TEAN staff member either in the U.S. or abroad.

What about anti-foreign sentiment? Although individuals are generally well liked abroad, host nationals will often question the activities of foreign governments and may hold anti-foreign views. This has occurred for some time, in periods of both peace and crisis. Participants in the past have found these tips useful: use common sense, dress to blend in, speak softly and avoid overt displays of home country patriotism. TEAN also advises that students avoid all public demonstrations.


There is no need to have malaria shots or take malaria pills. Malaria is not prevalent in the areas where you will be studying. It is always common sense to have general vaccinations up-to-date including tetanus, Hepatitis A and Hepatitis B, etc., but no immunizations are mandatory to participate in the program. If you have any health conditions that may cause issues, please make sure to consult a doctor before departing.

Safety Notes Regarding Water

When you arrive in Korea you will notice that most locals do not drink the tap water. The United Nations’ published a report in 2003 on water quality and Korea’s ranked eighth in the world, with its high-tech water treatment facilities and management (the U.S. ranked 12th in this study). The water quality in Korea is constantly being monitored to ensure it is safe to drink. So, while drinking the tap water is not a health concern, it’s just simply a cultural preference.

Relevant Travel and Safety Links

State Department Travel Warnings
Center for Disease Control
World Health Organization
U.S. Embassies

Packing List

Packing List

The packing list provided is only a suggested list. Triple check to ensure you have everything necessary! Please reference the Quarantine Survival Checklist (sent to you) when packing your carry-on luggage.  As you won’t have access to laundry during those two weeks, we recommend packing as much as you can in your carry-on in case your large luggage is delayed (unlikely, but it doesn’t hurt to prepare!).

Essentials to Pack (also listed on your Arrival Information that we’ll ask you to print and keep with you in your carry-on)

  • Passport/visa
  • Arrival Information (to be supplied by TEAN prior to departure)
  • Proof of negative PCR COVID test within 72 hours of flight (must be printed, original test result in English or Korean)
  • Your TEAN Housing Address and Contact Information (will be provided to you)
  • Negative TB Test Result (only if you are living in the dorms; print your results and have on hand for housing move-in)
  • Printed copy of Self-Measured Temperature Document (sent to you via email) if staying in dorms
  • Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), including facemask(s) and hand sanitizer; check with your airlines to ensure you meet their requirements.
  • Thermometer (for completing the Self-Measured Temperature Document)
  • Driver’s license (or alternate form of ID)
  • Airline confirmation numbers and flight itinerary
  • Money (cash, debit/credit cards, etc.)
  • Photocopies of important documents
  • Prescription medicine and a note/proof from doctor (Only a 3-month supply in original packaging is allowed. Contact us for instructions on what to do if you need more.)
  • Snacks for your flight and/or quarantine! (no dried meat, fruit, or vegetables)

Other Items

  • Raincoat with a hood or waterproof Gore-tex jacket/umbrella
  • Warm jacket/hat/gloves (temperatures can be around 30F in December-February)
  • Clothing such as pants, pajamas, underwear, socks, a bathing suit and shirts
  • Dress clothes (one nice pair of dress pants/skirt and tie if applicable)
  • Two pairs of comfortable walking shoes: tennis shoes/shoes for hiking (lace-up shoes) Sizes larger than U.S. women’s 8 and U.S. men’s 10 are harder to find in Korea.
  • Bath towel
  • Camera and memory card + battery charger or extra batteries
  • Contact lenses (extended wear if possible) and solution
  • Glasses: prescription (if necessary) and sunglasses
  • Smaller backpack for books/site travel
  • Compact travel alarm clock
  • Reusable water bottle
  • Korean plug adapter for electronics. While EU adapters do fit in Korean outlets and are quite similar in size, they do vary slightly. It is recommended to get a Korea-specific adapter, as EU adapters are banned in the dorms. Please also note that most modern electronics don’t require a voltage converter. Consult manufacturer’s instructions for more information on your personal belongings.
  • Deodorant – this can be pretty expensive in Korea!
  • Phone numbers, email addresses of people with whom you wish to keep in contact
  • Extra passport photos
  • Feminine hygiene products (tampons with applicators are not easy to find in Korea and when found can be expensive)
  • You will need to purchase a linen set/extra blanket upon arrival in Korea, unless you have room to pack a twin-sized sheet in your luggage.
  • Bring a backup credit or debit card that can be left in your dorm. Just in case your primary card is lost/stolen you will still have easy access to your funds.

Packing Tips from TEAN

  • “Less is more” – it sounds like a cliché, but it’s true! Believe us.
  • Pack lightly! Overweight bags are a great way to blow your budget before you get to Korea.
  • Seasons can vary: pay attention to the climate information above and plan accordingly.  
  • Leave behind about half of what you think you’ll need.  
  • Label your luggage.
  • Refer to your airline carrier’s website for current baggage restrictions on international flights.

Computers & School Supplies

Korea University has wireless internet access around the campus, although please be aware that the internet speeds in your housing can be much slower than that of the U.S. Students are encouraged to bring a laptop if they own one and also want to have regular access to internet. Having a laptop will also make typing papers easier. KU has computer labs, but they do operate on limited opening hours (i.e. will not be available late at night). Local cafés are great places to go to find a strong WiFi connection.

Baggage Restrictions

For international flights to South Korea most airlines allow all international passengers two checked items, one carry-on and one personal item. Please contact your air carrier for their current baggage restrictions (including dimensions and weight) and fees for additional checked items. If you will exceed your air carrier’s baggage restrictions, it is generally more economical, safer and easier to pay the airlines for additional checked baggage versus shipping items.

Cultural Tips

Cultural Tips

You will find that Koreans are accommodating and helpful people. That said, abide by these ten cultural tips in order to live most harmoniously with the locals.

  1. Bow when greeting your peers and elders – this is the respectful and standard way of saying hello, goodbye and thank you. A simple head tilt will do for informal settings. Keep in mind: the deeper the bow the greater the respect.
  2. Never sit in the subway seats reserved for the elderly and pregnant and always offer up your seat to such people as well.
  3. Don’t shove your chopsticks in your rice, set them on top of or beside your bowl.
  4. Always receive things with two hands – even if someone is simply pouring your water.
  5. Never wear shoes inside temples, homes or even schools. Always be mindful of whether or not you need to remove your shoes.
  6. Talk quietly while riding public transportation – trust us – you will get told to keep it down otherwise.
  7. Be prepared to separate your trash, recyclables and compostables. Koreans take this very seriously and make no excuses.
  8. Don’t tip when dining out. It’s not expected and often looked at as a gesture of pity.
  9. Expect to get stared, pointed at and whispered about. This is not malicious, it’s just that you’re a unique presence and Koreans will find you to be interesting.
  10. It is customary not to pour your own drink in Korea. When you are out to dinner with a group, be aware of your dinner companions drink’s level and refill their glass, they will in turn fill your glass.


Arrival and Airport Pickup

Specific arrival details will be provided prior to your departure so you know where to meet the Quarantine Facility staff that will transport you to your quarantine hotel.

Contact Information

Prior to your departure, your Program Manager will provide you with contact details for all key TEAN personnel (including your Resident staff), as well as information on your local embassy and emergency contacts.

TEAN Orientation

Spring 2021 Program Orientation

We have arranged your virtual orientation to take place during your 14-day quarantine. The orientation is mandatory and will include important information sessions, opportunities to meet and interact with your fellow students and your Resident staff, and fun cultural activities to get you excited for your time in Korea! We’ve purposefully designed this orientation to keep you engaged throughout your quarantine period.

After your 14-day quarantine, you will be met by Resident staff who will help transport you to your TEAN housing for the rest of the program. If you’ve opted out of TEAN housing, you are responsible for your own transportation from the quarantine facility to your housing. As of now, a city tour of Seoul is TBD based on local regulations.

Communicating While Abroad

Contacting Home

Below are some suggested ways that you can easily stay in touch with your family and friends while studying abroad.

We recommend setting up a contact plan before you depart, deciding how and when you’ll be available while abroad. Whether that looks like daily, weekly, biweekly or monthly check-ins, it’s good to have a consistent way to get in touch, as well as back up alternatives in case of an emergency. While studying abroad can be a time to spread your wings and become more independent, it’s important to regularly touch base with your loved ones so they don’t worry while you’re away.

No matter which method you choose, we recommend downloading your preferred applications before leaving home and testing them out to make sure any accounts and contacts are set up properly.

Local SIM Card

For our Summer and Winter programs, we encourage students to purchase a local Sim card from a convenience store upon arrival. They have a few different options which usually involve an unlimited plan option to cover you for the duration of your program.

For our Semester program, TEAN provides students with a local SIM card for calls, texting and data. Phone plans vary depending on location and more details will be provided by your Program Manager. It is recommended to only use your local phone number to call home in cases of emergency since long distance calls can be expensive but there are plenty of ways to call internationally for free or very cheap (keep reading!)

Unlocking your Phone

In order to use the local SIM card, you need to make sure your phone is unlocked and able to accept SIM cards from other mobile carriers. “Unlocking” your phone means that your phone is not locked to one specific carrier. If your phone is unlocked you will be able to use a foreign SIM card while you are abroad. If you’re unsure if your phone is unlocked, it’s important to call your current service provider to check. If you cannot get your current phone unlocked, you will need to bring a different unlocked phone from home or plan to purchase a phone while in your host country.

International Phone Plan

While all students are given local SIM cards, some may decide to keep their US number and opt for an international phone plan. In most cases, this allows students to utilize their phone domestically in their host country and internationally. The cost of this can vary based on service provider. If you are interested in this option, you should get in touch with your phone service provider to get the relevant fees and service options. Be sure to consider costs for dialing local numbers as it can sometimes make an international plan undesirable for calls within your host country.

Purchasing a Phone in Country

This would only be a viable option if you do not want to or cannot use your current U.S. phone, and can speak and read the local language. Phones can be purchased in all locations for costs comparable to U.S. phones. This may be a good option for a student who is looking to use a phone for just texting and calling while in country, as non-smart phones can be purchased cheaply in most countries. If you are worried about losing your U.S. smartphone, you may want to consider purchasing an inexpensive phone in your host country.

Free International Contact Options

While all students will have access to a local number, there are free ways to get in touch with people across the world while connected to the internet or data.


Allows free chat, audio calling and video calling between users while using WiFi or data. This allows for calls between two parties both using the Skype app downloaded. The Skype app can be downloaded onto you phone, tablet and computer. You can also purchase Skype credit which allows you to call international landline and mobile phone numbers directly (so both parties don’t have to have a Skype account). These calls typically cost around $.05 for the connection and $.03 per minute, making it an affordable option.

Facebook Messenger

Facebook’s Messenger app allows free chat, audio calling and video calling between users while on WiFi or data.


While we don’t suggest going out of your way to purchase an iPhone for this option, it is a great feature for any students who have these phones already. iPhones use iMessage and FaceTime while on WiFi or data at zero charge to the provider plan.

Other free messaging apps

You probably already know or use WhatsApp, which allows free chat, audio calling and video calling between users while on WiFi or data. WhatsApp is popular outside of the U.S. as well but some countries also have their own messaging app of choice that you’ll likely want to download to chat with your new local friends. These include:


It may seem obvious but email is a great way to continue to stay in touch with people back home regardless of the time differences. If your host institution gives you a new school email, be sure to update friends and family with the email address you will be checking most frequently throughout your program.


  • Internet service is provided within accommodations managed by Korea University including wireless access in the dormitories.
  • Upon arrival, it may take same time to set up personal computers to wireless networks. Patience is requested.

Finances Abroad

Finances Abroad

Bringing U.S. Currency to South Korea

We do not recommend bringing large amounts of cash with you for security and safety reasons, however, you may wish to bring a small amount of foreign currency for any initial personal expense needs. Most major banks in large U.S. cities have foreign currency in stock, but smaller regional banks may be able to order South Korean Won. (Do not wait until the last minute to place your order.) Alternatively, you can exchange money at airport before you depart for the overseas flight. This is slightly more expensive than using a local bank (1%-2% higher fees) but much more convenient.  

Using a U.S. Bank Account

You can avoid paying ATM fees by either joining a bank in the global ATM alliance, or Charles Schwab is a great bank to use because they refund all ATM domestic and foreign transaction fees worldwide and it is free to open an account. They never charge a fee but if the foreign bank does then Charles Schwab refunds the cost at the end of each month. Accounts can be opened online. It is always good to check your local bank’s policy as well.

It usually takes 7-10 days for Charles Schwab to mail the actual ATM card (so don’t wait until the last minute to open an account!). All transactions can be done online (including funding the account from another bank account you have in the U.S.).

Opening a Korean Bank Account

As a semester student, when you arrive in Korea, you will be given instructions on how to apply for your Alien Registration Card (ARC). As a part of your ARC, you will have the option to have a local Korean bank account. It can take up to four weeks to received your ARC so if you prefer to use this account, please be prepared to use your U.S. account for the first few weeks.  

Please Note: Since summer students do not need to get a student visa, you will not need to apply for your ARC, therefore will not have the option to open a Korean bank account.